Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:04 AM

23 posts, read 149,764 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Dallas in August of 2008 and we are considering building a new home, probably in the $400-$600K range. That range seems to put us out of the "true" custom homes, (if you disagree please let me know) so we are looking at semi-custom large scale builders. So far the following builders look interesting to us:

Toll Brothers
Sotherby
K Hov
Drees
Highlands
Grand

If you have any comments about your experience with any of these builders or other builders you think we should consider please let me know.

Comments that are objective and specific (XXX homebuilder insulates to R-XX where the industry standard is R-YY) are more helpful than subjective general ones. (ZZZ builder sucks.)

In addition, if you know of good places to do further research, that would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 10:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I don't disagree--you will be reduced to only a "faux" custom home in that price range...if you want to build/live in that area...

Old 10-27-2007, 11:08 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walty_14 View Post
We will be moving to Dallas in August of 2008 and we are considering building a new home, probably in the $400-$600K range. That range seems to put us out of the "true" custom homes, (if you disagree please let me know) so we are looking at semi-custom large scale builders. So far the following builders look interesting to us:

Toll Brothers
Sotherby
K Hov
Drees
Highlands
Grand

If you have any comments about your experience with any of these builders or other builders you think we should consider please let me know.

Comments that are objective and specific (XXX homebuilder insulates to R-XX where the industry standard is R-YY) are more helpful than subjective general ones. (ZZZ builder sucks.)

In addition, if you know of good places to do further research, that would be appreciated.
If that's your budget and you're working downtown I would strongly urge you to look in north Dallas (south of 635) or old East Dallas (the Lakewood area). You'll save yourself from a commute from hell.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:12 AM

23 posts, read 149,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
If that's your budget and you're working downtown I would strongly urge you to look in north Dallas (south of 635) or old East Dallas (the Lakewood area). You'll save yourself from a commute from hell.
Thanks. I've heard that those areas are pretty nice. Any idea what the cost per sq ft averages?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Toll Brothers - Do not know anyone that has built w/ them but they seem nice and don't build in massive quantities like some builders.

Sotherby - Know several that have built w/ them and been happy. I've heard a few people have some minor problems but nothing huge. They also don't build in massive quantities.

K Hov - Fairly new to the area and seem to build more volume than others.

Drees - We have a Drees home and LOVE it. No problems at all and don't know anyone that has had problems. They build a nice product in smaller neighborhoods.

Highlands - I would not put Highland Homes in w/ the others. They build a nice product for the money. I would avoid buying a Highland Home that was mixed in w/ lower end builders. Look for an area where they are the only builder or are w/ a higher end builder and at least one on the same level as them.

Grand - Well, know TONS of people that have had major problems w/ Grand. Grand is marketing towards the buyer that wants the HUGE MASSIVE house w/o all of the extras and better end finish out. I would not put them on the same level as any of the other builders mentioned at all. You will notice that no longer do other builders even want to be in the same neighborhood as Grand. I know of several subdivisions they build in that are not large and they can not even move their products w/ the promise of a free swimming pool.

Good luck

Old 10-27-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walty_14 View Post
Thanks. I've heard that those areas are pretty nice. Any idea what the cost per sq ft averages?
Not to sound flip, but it varies from neighborhood to neighborhood.

My parents still live in the home I grew up in near Preston and Forest (north Dallas). Their house is about 2400 sq ft and would probably sell for $450k in today's market.

You should be aware that many north Dallas neighborhoods (my parents' neighborhood included) have become teardown zones, where 40-50 year-old well-maintained ranch homes are being torn down and replaced by 6-7k sq ft McMansions selling for $1-$2 million.

Ask Lakewooder about Lakewood; he's the resident expert on the area.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:44 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
$180-$190 for Lakewood and the M-Streets; $135 is the average for all of East Dallas. West Plano, the purportedly "ritzy" side is $99.

You get what you pay for.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
$180-$190 for Lakewood and the M-Streets; $135 is the average for all of East Dallas. West Plano, the purportedly "ritzy" side is $99.

You get what you pay for.
I dunno about that....what I've seen of west Plano seems VERY overpriced, $99 seems kinda low.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:42 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
here in VA Toll Brothers is a mass quantity producer. not what I would call semi custom
in PA K-hov is on part with Pulte... lots of mass quantiy tract homes.

We bought an existing Drees and they seem very solid

Haven't heard anything negative about Darling.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
plenty of MLS sites to do a search--prices vary by locations, sq ft of house, remodeling, schools area is zoned for,
you have to spend some time looking to know what is fair price/good deal/overpriced...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas