Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 PM

170 posts, read 369,756 times

Advertisements

Let's discuss great places to eat in Lancaster. Other than fast food. I love In-n-Out but I cant only eat there!

Hubby and I tried this little Italian place off of Dallas Ave. They ranted and raved about how great their pizza was, but then when we got it, I was not AT ALL impressed. Plus when we got home, we both ended up sick from the food. I thought it might kill me. It was horrible, so I wont go back there....

Any other food suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:31 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,295 times
Hey, I'm about to step out, but I'll be glad to help you when I return home later tonight. What foods do you like or dislike? Are you looking for dine-in restaurants, small mom and pop joints, or both? Knowing your personal preferences would really be helpful. You'll be hearing from me soon.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 PM

307 posts, read 531,924 times
New Win Hing down from Minyards is pretty good for chinese, but strictly take out as there is no atmosphere to the place. Years ago most everything moved up to the Desoto-Lancaster corridor on I-35. But there is a good country breakfast at The Hickory House on North Dallas Avenus, one of the places I really miss about Lancaster, but I got a chance to stop through last week. Otherwise I go to the Cracker Barrel on I-35 and Wintergreen on the Desoto side. Don't know about Hickory House' barbeque as I would get mine at The Tiger's Den on North Dallas across from the high school. The Italian place you mentioned was never inviting to me so I never tried it. I was trying to remember what the building was originally.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 PM

Ablebodied is correct. Most of the dine-in restaurants are located along either side of I-35E, which is the border between Lancaster and DeSoto. On the Lancaster side, there is Bienvenidos Mexican Restaurant (920 N. I-35E), Logan's Roadhouse (700 N. I-35), and Chili's Grill & Bar (530 N. 1-35). Logan's and the fast food chains In-N-Out and Chicken Express have all opened over the past year or so. Further north in the Courtyard at Pleasant Run Shopping Center, anchored by the Cinemark Movie Theater, there's the Green Apple Fresh Buffet (3250 W. Pleasant Run Rd., Ste. 300) and Ton's Palace Chinese Restaurant (3250 W. Pleasant Run Rd., Ste. 285). On the DeSoto side, Cracker Barrel (1421 N. I-35E) is located off of Wintergreen Road. Further south towards Pleasant Run, there are a few more restaurants, including: Outback Steakhouse (1101 N. I-35E), El Chico Mexican Restaurant (1111 N. I-35E), On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina (1003 N. I-35E). There's also a Luby's Cafeteria south of Pleasant Run (801 N. Beckley).

I haven't tried Hickory House (906 N. Dallas Ave.) yet, but always hear good things about the place. Same for the New Win Hing Chinese Restaurant (1450 W. Pleasant Run Rd., Ste. 174) in the Blue Grove Plaza Shopping Center. A brand new Chinese Restaurant, Wok Xpress, recently opened at 1005 W. Pleasant Run Rd. in the Lancaster Plaza Shopping Center. Like Ablebodied, I also a fan of the Tiger's BBQ Den (2555 N. Dallas Ave.) across from Lancaster High School. I love their $0.99 chopped beef sandwiches. There are also a few places in the Historic Town Square like Cafe Raaz that you might want to check out as well.

Oh and you must visit the Lovin' Oven Bakery in the Historic Town Square. It is an institution here in Lancaster. When I was a kid, a trip to Lancaster always ended with a visit to the Lovin' Oven. I love their sugar cookies and gingerbread.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Acntx; 04-08-2013 at 11:58 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 AM

We love mexican/tex mex food, and mostly anything else! Italian we love too. We have found the 35E corridor and I love In-n-Out, they had them in Southern CA when I was growing up, but none on the east coast, so its nice to have it again!

While living in Dallas I really liked Fuzzy's, is that Bienvenidos good food? On the Border is a little too chain restaurant for me. How is El Chico's?

Any idea if any of those chinese restaurants deliver near the square?

We did hit the coffee shop in the square, once for a sandwich when we were looking at the house and one Friday night a couple weeks ago when the had the live band. We had coffee with our new neighbors. It was a little chilly out that night so we didnt get to enjoy the outdoor seating.

Thanks so much for your help guys.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
We love mexican/tex mex food, and mostly anything else! Italian we love too. We have found the 35E corridor and I love In-n-Out, they had them in Southern CA when I was growing up, but none on the east coast, so its nice to have it again!

While living in Dallas I really liked Fuzzy's, is that Bienvenidos good food? On the Border is a little too chain restaurant for me. How is El Chico's?

Any idea if any of those chinese restaurants deliver near the square?

We did hit the coffee shop in the square, once for a sandwich when we were looking at the house and one Friday night a couple weeks ago when the had the live band. We had coffee with our new neighbors. It was a little chilly out that night so we didnt get to enjoy the outdoor seating.

Thanks so much for your help guys.
I haven't eaten at Bienvenidos, but my mom has and she liked it. When I moved here back in 2006, Bienvenidos was basically the only dine-in restaurant on the Lancaster side of I-35E, so the city has had some success in attracting a variety of restaurants to the area. El Chico's is okay.

I'm not sure if any of the Chinese restaurants deliver or not.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 PM

When you're ready to branch out you can travel the Beltline corridor through Desoto to Cedar Hill about 10-12 miles. In a small radius on Beltline and Highway 67 you'll have access to some of the best Mexican food at Campuzano's as well as:
Babe's Chicken Dinner House, David's Seafood Grill, Veracruz Cafe, Razzoo's Cajun Cafe,
Panera Bread, Los Lupes, Red Robin, Cotton Patch Cafe, Saltgrass Steak House, Romano's
Macaroni Grill, Buffalo Wild Wings, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Joe's Crab Shack,
Applebee's and assorted eateries and shopping in Uptown Mall.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
Over in DeSoto just east of the Hampton/Belt Line Rd intersection is Acapulco's. They serve American and Mexican. My favorite is the Friday night special, fried catfish with baked potato, hush puppies, onion rings and salad.

For Italian, I like to drive down to Waxahachie and eat at two different restaurants: Little Sicly (great marinara sauce with angel hair pasta. Note their hours as they are closed afternoons and Sundays) and Tomatoes - Mexican and Italian food (love their chicken fettucini alfredo. The place used to be a gas station).

Also in Waxahachie is Asian King Buffet (all of these Waxahachie restaurants are located on Hwy 77.) Wow, the place is nice and huge and clean! Not only do they have the usual buffet areas but I especially like their grill area where you can pick the items (meat, vegetables, sauce) you want, hand it to them and they'll grill it fresh for you. They also have sushi as well.

Last thing - in Lancaster I like Hickory House's BBQ lunch special (chopped beef with two sides) but the best BBQ is in Waxahachie at Leon's BBQ. They are located on Hwy 77 near downtown Waxahachie and are only open Friday through Sunday. Wow, they have the best ribs! I wanted to try their brisket but they had already run out that day (was there around 4pm) Their building looks like it used to be an old bank. When you walk inside you definitely feel like you're in Texas with all the decor.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM

Oh well, too much talk about The Hickory House so I had to pay a visit this morning!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM

I am disappointed that Hickory house is only breakfast and lunch. Will have to hit them up for lunch on the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas