Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,018 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just wanted some advice, recently I've really been contemplating moving from my current city for a multitude of reasons. The two primary reasons I seek to leave are for jobs and just a change of scenery. I have visited New York City a few times, but it doesn't seem like a place I would want to live. The same with Charlotte, N.C and Philadelphia. I've been doing alot of research about Dallas online and from what I've extrapolated thus far it seems like a city I would like.

I just want some knowledge and advice from people on the ground about the most pragmatic ways to move to Dallas. About me I'm 25, no kids, no significant other and I have a bachelors, customer service experience, bilingual, and a ton of Microsoft Office Experience. This summer and the fall of this year I"m going to take some Accounting classes at a community college. I'm not trying to obtain another Bachelor's degree but I feel taking those classes could allow me to become acclimated with some book keeping. At the moment I room with some people so I don't really have many possessions to carry with me. I would like to have about 6,000 dollars when I relocate out there.

1. I wanted to know from people currently how is the job market there?

2. How hard was it to find work for you and others you know in the Dallas area?

3. Exactly How much money should I have before I make the move?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Overall, the job market is good compared to some other cities but that doesn't mean jobs are here for the taking. There are a lot of people moving to Texas so there is a lot of competition. I'm not sure a few accounting classes is going to be enough to separate you from the pack.

You say you're bilingual. What is your second language?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,018 times
I'm borderline fluent in Spanish and I've been learning some Arabic over the past three months. I want to go to grad school, but I'm taking some time to just gain more work experience and travel some. I could imagine that the job market there is extremely competitive. Yet, I know in juxtaposition with many other cities the Dallas job market is quite good. I'm just trying to be really calculated on a potential move to Dallas. Dallas is one of three cities I am looking at and I want to make a wise choice. A choice that will abet in some type of upward mobility.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
If as your name implies, you are Canadian, you will need a visa. Work visas are hard to come by, you must be sponsored by a company and it costs them thousands. You have to have a unique skill that Americans can't match. Visit the Legal Immigration forum for more ideas on how this is done.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
As this question really hinges on a work visa, this thread is closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: