Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM

230 posts, read 398,629 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

Question for some of you in the know. My car lease in NJ ends this month. We've been leasing rather than buying for the past few years. That's not the question, although it may turn into one. I was palnning to sign another lease in Jersey and then re-register in TX when, hopefully, some time in the late Summer we'll move. But I realize that I have to pay NJ sales tax for the entire lease, using only about 7 out of 36 months of the lease in NJ. Then pay TX? I don't even know how lease would work in TX. Her's the question: Has anyone transfered their out of State lease and registration to TX? Does it make any sense or just complicates matters? I do have the option of extending my current lease at the same price i'vee been pating plus calculated sales tax for NJ about $99 for the next 6 months, plus maybe dust off old brakes a little bit. But not major expence like signing a new lease. I know ppl drive huge distances in TX, though i understand it all depends on where you are and where you need to go, but in general, does leasing even work in TX w/ 12,000 miles per year allowance? Or just continue leasing in Jersey for now and then just buy a car once in TX?

Sorry, long post but it's just one more thing to get out of the way before moving.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,551,112 times
Can't even begin to answer your questions, but I have a leased vehicle that I'm driving and was leased almost 2 yrs ago in SC. I don't know if this has any implications for me or not. But I will be turning the car in early because (due to a string of circumstances) I will "inherit" my partner's car when he buys a new one soon.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Can't even begin to answer your questions, but I have a leased vehicle that I'm driving and was leased almost 2 yrs ago in SC. I don't know if this has any implications for me or not. But I will be turning the car in early because (due to a string of circumstances) I will "inherit" my partner's car when he buys a new one soon.
Thank You for your response. Did you have to re-register car to TX, or you are just driving with SC plates? Also returning should not be a problem as long as it's not some exotic car. Basically, at the end of the lease they will tell you it must be inspected by their service, and then you could return it to any dealer of that car brand. Doesn't have to be in SC.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM

I have registered and done the WHOLE "car" thing in TX. It took the ENTIRE day off from work that I took, but was worth it. I'm a signed-sealed-and-appproved TEXAN now! ;-)

Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
I have registered and done the WHOLE "car" thing in TX. It took the ENTIRE day off from work that I took, but was worth it. I'm a signed-sealed-and-appproved TEXAN now! ;-)

hahahahahaha LOL. They didn't make you sign with your own blood LOL? But you've earned your "Texan" title having gone through DMV there. I know, I guess DMV is a DMV in NY, Jersey or TX. That's why I'm just thinking it may not be worth getting into another lease for some 6-7 months before getting the heck out of Joisy? How is the milage on your lease? Standars 12,000 miles / year or so? Is it enough or you feel pressure to drive less? I don't know what terms you have on your lease, but mine is pretty standard.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM

I did the standard 12,000/year thing. But I was working out of our house at the time. Now I'm commuting, but still won't come close to going over my mileage limit before my lease is over.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 PM

Talking Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydoc View Post
Hi everybody,

Question for some of you in the know. My car lease in NJ ends this month. We've been leasing rather than buying for the past few years. That's not the question, although it may turn into one. I was palnning to sign another lease in Jersey and then re-register in TX when, hopefully, some time in the late Summer we'll move. But I realize that I have to pay NJ sales tax for the entire lease, using only about 7 out of 36 months of the lease in NJ. Then pay TX? I don't even know how lease would work in TX. Her's the question: Has anyone transfered their out of State lease and registration to TX? Does it make any sense or just complicates matters? I do have the option of extending my current lease at the same price i'vee been pating plus calculated sales tax for NJ about $99 for the next 6 months, plus maybe dust off old brakes a little bit. But not major expence like signing a new lease. I know ppl drive huge distances in TX, though i understand it all depends on where you are and where you need to go, but in general, does leasing even work in TX w/ 12,000 miles per year allowance? Or just continue leasing in Jersey for now and then just buy a car once in TX?

Sorry, long post but it's just one more thing to get out of the way before moving.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Well billydoc, it looks like you've found your answer here

(No folks, I don't usually talk to myself in 3rd person...or otherwise, but I'm being my own best friend )

"I am leasing a vehicle in Texas, do I owe tax?A motor vehicle purchased in Texas to be leased is subject to motor vehicle sales tax. The lessor is responsible for the tax and it is paid when the vehicle is registered at the local County Tax Assessor-Collector's office. The lease contract is not subject to tax. See motor vehicle sales tax rule 3.70 for additional information.Do I owe tax if I bring a leased motor vehicle into Texas from another state?When a vehicle is leased in another state and the lessee brings it to Texas for public highway use, the lessee (as the operator) owes motor vehicle use tax based on the price the lessor paid for the vehicle. The standard tax rate is 6 1/4%. Credit will be given for any tax the lessor or the lessee paid to another state. See motor vehicle sales tax rule 3.70 for additional information."
Source: FAQ: Motor Vehicle Taxes

Old 06-15-2013, 01:34 AM

5 posts, read 35,167 times
Good to know about this all.I've registered and done the ENTIRE "auto" thing in Newyork. It took the day off from work that I took, but was worth it. I am a signedsealed-and appproved TEXAN now

Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,716 times
I am leasing a vehicle in NH and have 1 and 1/2 years left on it. It is with Subaru leasing through Chase Bank. I am moving to Texas at the end of July 2013. What should I expect? Can I continue with my current leasing company? Will my monthly payment increase or go down. The car is a Subaru Impreza 5 door 2012.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith3915 View Post
I am leasing a vehicle in NH and have 1 and 1/2 years left on it. It is with Subaru leasing through Chase Bank. I am moving to Texas at the end of July 2013. What should I expect? Can I continue with my current leasing company? Will my monthly payment increase or go down. The car is a Subaru Impreza 5 door 2012.
Does it have air conditioning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: