Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,375 times

Advertisements

Local help needed! We are due to move into a house in Lakewood drive by Xmas at the latest and have and 8 year old son to place in a local school. To date he has attended a private british international schools as we lived in Singapore. Looking at the two local options I see St. John's and lake hill. Both receive strong negative comments on forums. The first regarding the number of children with special needs and therefore opportunity for others to develop, the second around bullying. Are there any views on this and any other private alternatives that don't require a long drive?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 04:01 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
The east Dallas privates are all white flight academies established during desegregation- they aren't worth your money. Go north Dallas privates or stay public.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
I'm not sure what the process is for gaining private school admission once the year has already started. Schools already have their 2013-2014 selections.
I don't have personal experience at either school mentioned, but I do know from looking at public schools, you hear/read bad things all the time. You really have to look at the schools with your own eyes to get the full picture.
And do consider your public school when you move; it might be a great option while you get settled and can tour some private schools.
There are some Montessori options - Lakewood and White Rock.
I'm assuming you aren't interested in religious private schools such as St Thomas or St Pats.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Lakewood Elementary is the best school in Dallas, why would you want to pay for private schools?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
The east Dallas privates are all white flight academies established during desegregation- they aren't worth your money. Go north Dallas privates or stay public.
Consider deleting this post as it's just wrong in multiple ways.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Lakewood Elementary is the best school in Dallas, why would you want to pay for private schools?
Wow.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Wow.
I think they meant best rated public elementary school in DISD, though I'm not sure how accurate even that statement is.

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/201...e-for-success/

Old 05-06-2013, 04:56 PM

256 posts, read 448,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I think they meant best rated public elementary school in DISD, though I'm not sure how accurate even that statement is.

24 DISD Elementary Schools Recognized by State for Success | FrontBurner
That list recognizes Title 1 schools who are doing very well despite a high concentration of low-income families. Lakewood has a very low percentage of free and reduced lunch kids and it is an exemplary campus with extensive parental involvement. It is large and may not be for everyone, but people move to Lakewood specifically for the elementary. I'm not sure why someone would automatically consider private first.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
That list recognizes Title 1 schools who are doing very well despite a high concentration of low-income families. Lakewood has a very low percentage of free and reduced lunch kids and it is an exemplary campus with extensive parental involvement. It is large and may not be for everyone, but people move to Lakewood specifically for the elementary. I'm not sure why someone would automatically consider private first.
Because the best privates are better and a lot better is why. Will you even for a moment argue that Lakewood E is a better school than say Prince of Peace (catholic) in Plano?

I can't tell you how many parents and kids I know from Lakewood who go to/pay for BL, UA, Jesuit, Greenhill, ESD, St. Marks, Hockaday etc.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
EDS, I think you need to reread the OPs question. OP is moving to Lakewood Blvd with an 8 year old. OP is wanting to know about Lakehill and St. John's.

Lakewood Elementry is, at worst, on par with those schools. We aren't talking about Mata against Hockaday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: