Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 57,106 times

Advertisements

Why is it so difficult to get into some of the top dallas private schools in from 7th thru 12th. We moved into Dallas are 2 years ago and have been trying to get D into private schools since then. She has very high ISEE scores & good EC's, excellent grades & recommendations, but gets waitlisted at the top 2 schools. What are they looking for? Are there "feeder" schools that get priorioty? We are frustrated. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Maybe they don't have any avail spaces. And siblings usually get priority.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Well, I think the hardest ones to get into are ESD, St. Marks, Cistercian, Hockaday, I mean unless you're high profile, a new CEO in town, or minority, then it's easier.

There are grade levels that are entry levels and it's easier to get into, such as the 1st grade level of the school like PK3 or whatever the school starts at and when the school has a big jump in openings, like St. Marks at 5th grade.

Otherwise, most kids return year after year, so then the only openings happen if some student leaves the private school - maybe 1 or 2 a year per grade level. Some schools won't take new students past 10th grade, too.

Have you looked at other private school options such as Parish Episcopal in Farmers Branch or JPII in Plano - I think they are both not at capacity.

Did you have any luck at 9th grade? My son was in private school through 8th grade - Shelton which is an LD school - and Shelton goes through 12th, but a large number of kids switch at 9th grade for high school. His friends ended up at Jesuit, Parish, Pope John Paul, Bishop Lynch, Ursuline - and these kids all have documented learning disabilities. I don't think any of them ended up at those top 4 schools, but often that's the school they came from when they went into Shelton.

I'm not sure what Greenhill's reputation is like anymore. It used to be one of the top schools no question, but I don't hear that much about it anymore. I know it's still there though. My son went to summer school there one summer. It was nice.

Years ago I talked to an education consultant about private school placement. She told me there was a private school for every child, it just might not be your first choice.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM

269 posts, read 863,150 times
It might help to know which grades you applying to and which schools you are seeking. Ninth grade is typically the year in which you will find the most available openings. Even then good grades, top notch ISEE scores and interesting extracurriculars aren't enough at some of the schools. St. Mark's, Cistercian, and Ursuline are much more merit driven than Hockaday, for example. Sadly, in the middle and upper school Hockaday, high ISEE scores and grades won't get you in the door. You either need to add racial diversity, have connections and/or have a high level of wealth -- though you do need to have at least reasonable ISEE scores -- their average is right around 24. Urusline is a really good alternative for girls who have great ISEEs and grades, but for one reason or another aren't of interest to the Hockaday admission committee.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGirl2 View Post
Why is it so difficult to get into some of the top dallas private schools in from 7th thru 12th.
You answered your own question. Everybody wants in.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:12 PM

8th & 10th at Hockaday & Greenhill. We have not looked at Ursuline. Is it considered a good college prep school?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 PM

18 posts, read 80,218 times
Ursuline has an excellent reputation as a college prep school.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM

168 posts, read 573,383 times
Greenhill still has a great reputation, at least amongst the parents, admissions directors, ISAS, etc. that we spoke to in evaluating North Dallas private schools

I think that it has all been said here already. The schools have very limited spots. For any given grade level at St. Mark's, they admit about 20% of applicants. 10 boys standing in a row and only 2 get in. So when you factor in things like siblings, legacies, etc. the St. Marks, Hockaday, Cistercian types are just extremely hard to get into. There are probably some schools that are better as feeders, but since you are already looking at later grades, not sure that matters as much...my sense is that the feeders work best when you start in PK/K, etc. For what its worth, we toured them all (for boys anyway) and were most impressed with Lamplighter (for lower grades), St. Marks, Greenhill and some of the Catholic schools.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Ursuline is going to be tough to get into as it is often the first choice for girls coming from the Catholic K-8 schools around town. Your 8th grader might try for 9th grade however.

JPII might be a better alternative for both as it is under-enrolled - because it's new, not because it's bad.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions... more thoughts on this are welcome.
I think the Dallas/Plano area needs another great college prep school which admits on merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas