Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,947 times

Advertisements

My husband, 8 year old daughter and I will be relocating to the DFW sometime this summer. I have been researching places to live online and just when I think I have it all figured out, I find another neighborhood/city/issue that changes everything . My husband's job will be due south of the DFW airport on Frye Road near AMR Corp. So far I have Keller, Highland Village, Coppell, Plano and Flower Mound on our list. However, without practical knowledge of traffic or other issues (I have never even been to Dallas), I do not know if any of these locations are even feasible. Schools do not play much into our decision, as we will be homeschooling. With not knowing anyone, a strong community and family feel is important to us. Our price range tops out at $270,000. Are there any on my list I should take off? And, are there any I should consider adding to my list? I should also add that our daughter will be attending gymnastics in Ccoppell. I've looked at more houses online than I'd care to admit and am hoping to narrow down my search. Thanks for any info you can give!!

Last edited by Williamsof3; 05-31-2013 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Take Coppell off your list at that price point. Flower Mound may be out of your range too.

Try Lewisville.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Keller, Highland Village, Plano and FloMo will be an awful commute to south of DFW. There's no direct freeway access from most of these suburbs, so it will mean a lot of side street zig-zagging, and the closest highway from Plano is a toll road.

Instead, look at Euless, Grapevine, and Bedford. Those are all cities with good schools, homes in your price range, and a much shorter commute. They will also have easy access to Coppell for your daughter's gymnastics.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:34 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Keller, Highland Village, Plano and FloMo will be an awful commute to south of DFW. There's no direct freeway access from most of these suburbs, so it will mean a lot of side street zig-zagging, and the closest highway from Plano is a toll road.

Instead, look at Euless, Grapevine, and Bedford. Those are all cities with good schools, homes in your price range, and a much shorter commute. They will also have easy access to Coppell for your daughter's gymnastics.
I dont disagree that all listed will be a tough commute, but from W. Plano, PGBT is a pretty direct shot to DFW and south as far as 183.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 AM

170 posts, read 374,113 times
We live in far West Plano near Barksdale Elementry and there is no extra ten minutes of zig zagging on small streets to get to the highways. I can be on PGBT or DNT in 2-3 minutes and just a few more to get to 121.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
The 1st question I would always ask a client is what is an acceptable commute time ?
I would take Highland Village off my list and stay south of Cross Prairie / Main St (1709) in Flo Mo.
FM is hard to find under $275k but can be done. All the cities west of the airport work well but I'd also stay north of Hwy 183.

Valley Ranch in Irving is a good possibility but hard to find a home.
Also getting from FM south should be easier with the highway construction being completed.
I also cut through the airport if you don't mind paying a toll.

You need to find a very good RE agent who is familiar with the area. They can help narrow your focus.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I dont disagree that all listed will be a tough commute, but from W. Plano, PGBT is a pretty direct shot to DFW and south as far as 183.
Just keep in mind that having to use the toll roads for commuting and to get the daughter to/from gymnastics will add at least $100 a month in tolls to the household bills. If you choose a commute that won't require a toll road, this expense can be completely eliminated.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,947 times
Thank you all for the help. I appreciate all the insight I can get. My husband doesn't mind commuting up to 45 minutes each way. Since we will be spending a lot of time in Coppell, we definitely want to be close, within 30 minutes, to Coppell. How is Lewisville as far as crime? Is it a nice area? Family oriented? Thanks again!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsof3 View Post
Thank you all for the help. I appreciate all the insight I can get. My husband doesn't mind commuting up to 45 minutes each way. Since we will be spending a lot of time in Coppell, we definitely want to be close, within 30 minutes, to Coppell. How is Lewisville as far as crime? Is it a nice area? Family oriented? Thanks again!!!
Based on all the information, I would suggest Carrollton, west of Denton RD. (75007). It's very close to Coppell and you can get to the airport without using the toll roads. Traffic is unpredictable here, it's probably best to be as close as possible. A 10-15 mile trip can easily turn into 45 minutes in rush hour. Carrollton is near 4 major highways I35, and the 3 tollways(PGBT, NDT, 121) are there if your in a hurry. It's a nice area, with very little crime. It's close to several malls, and has decent schools, if you ever need to use them.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsof3 View Post
The newer parts of Lewisville (mostly west of I35) are great. I have several friends who live there and love it. Lewisville HS isn't as highly rated as other schools in the area, though.

There's no reason to make a 45-minute commute. There are entry of great places to live that are closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas