Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 AM

13 posts, read 24,613 times

Advertisements

Hello helpful Dallas folks -

I've found such valuable, first-hand information while searching this site; I'm hoping some of you will be willing to help provide insight or advice on our current situation. My husband and I (along with our one year old son) are moving to Dallas in the next few months from Ohio. My husband is taking a job is Lewisville. I am a teacher, but I'm staying home now with our son. I do plan to tutor students privately from home.

Here is what we are looking for in our new location: House budget is $275- $360. We adore older homes, mature trees, walk/bike distance to trails/parks/shops/restaurants, close-knit community with ongoing community events, cultural activities and diversity. Safety is a priority with a small child. We've always enjoyed having neighbors who are a mix of young and old and would love to be around some other young families. We're not super-concerned about schools at this point (in two years we'll be eager to find a Montessori school). Commute max of 30 mins.

Here are concerns that have arisen from our research/visits to suburbs and city neighborhoods: 1. We LOVE Munger Place, M Streets, Junius Heights, White Rock Lake and Lakewood. Concerned about long commute north to Lewisville. Considering using the DART, but would love to know more about it's efficiency and reliablility. Concerns about relative safety of these neighborhoods and the possibility of one street being nice and total drop-off the next street over. Concerned about the size of home/yard we could afford in these beautiful neighborhoods. 2. We know the commute and safety concerns can be solved by moving to a northern suburb, but we've visited Frisco, Lewisville, Coppell, Flower Mound, and Grapevine and can't even imagine living in any of these except maybe Grapevine. We dislike gated communities, all the new construction and the endless strip malls of chain stores.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING MY LONG POST. ANY THOUGHTS YOU HAVE TO SHARE WITH US REGARDING THE POINTS LISTED ABOVE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. PLEASE ASK IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

-Sarah

Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 AM

212 posts, read 410,010 times
You might take a look at some of the neighborhoods in West Richardson - Waterview between Belt Line and Arapaho east to the Heights Park - as well as Canyon Creek. The neighborhoods date from the mid 1950s to 1960s, are mature, have the generational mix you mentioned, many neighborhood parks, are very safe, plenty of community activities, both recreation and arts. Some of the houses have been completely updated, some retain vintage touches, some are being sold by original owners with no updates (for the good and the ill). Commute will depend on access to the GHWB Turnpike and where in Lewisville.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:29 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
I can't really think of any older neighborhoods closer to Lewisville, but maybe you should check out the bird streets(75209), it's great neighborhood between Love Field and Greenway Parks. That puts you a little closer to Stemmons, but it's still a lengthy reverse commute.

Kessler Park/Oak Cliff(75208) would probably be your ideal neighborhood, but it's south of 30

Old 06-08-2013, 11:33 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Midway Hollow (75220) and Sparkman Club Estates (75229) are two fantastic neighborhoods in your price range that are on the right side of Dallas to commute to Lewisville. They are full of renovated 1950's ranch / traditional homes, with a few mid century moderns mixed in. The whole area between Midway / Northwest Highway / Marsh / 635 would be great for you - easy access to I35/ 635 to get to Lewisville, close to dozens of private schools, and the established city neighborhood feel you're seeking.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMalone View Post
You might take a look at some of the neighborhoods in West Richardson - Waterview between Belt Line and Arapaho east to the Heights Park - as well as Canyon Creek. The neighborhoods date from the mid 1950s to 1960s, are mature, have the generational mix you mentioned, many neighborhood parks, are very safe, plenty of community activities, both recreation and arts. Some of the houses have been completely updated, some retain vintage touches, some are being sold by original owners with no updates (for the good and the ill). Commute will depend on access to the GHWB Turnpike and where in Lewisville.
I think they'd love the area but their commute would suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Midway Hollow (75220) and Sparkman Club Estates (75229) are two fantastic neighborhoods in your price range that are on the right side of Dallas to commute to Lewisville. They are full of renovated 1950's ranch / traditional homes, with a few mid century moderns mixed in. The whole area between Midway / Northwest Highway / Marsh / 635 would be great for you - easy access to I35/ 635 to get to Lewisville, close to dozens of private schools, and the established city neighborhood feel you're seeking.
I agree; at least this way you're closer to 35 and it's a straight shot to Lewisville as opposed to being in Richardson where you'd have to get west somehow, and 635 is a basketcase.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:13 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
You can't afford Lakewood, MStreets, White Rock Lake areas - put that out of the equation. Even half-way decent place on a good block in dicier Junius Heights and Munger Place is a stretch. Through a ridiculously long commute into it and - no - these neighborhoods are not going to work.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You can't afford Lakewood, MStreets, White Rock Lake areas - put that out of the equation. Even half-way decent place on a good block in dicier Junius Heights and Munger Place is a stretch. Through a ridiculously long commute into it and - no - these neighborhoods are not going to work.
I agree. Despite what Lakewooder might sometimes suggest, Lakewood is simply not practical or affordable for everyone.

He's passionate about his neighborhood and that's all well and good; it's a nice area. But for the OP....even if they could afford it...I wouldn't recommend it due to the nasty commute.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
I think DART goes to a park & ride lot on the far southern end of Lewisville, so you really have no choice but to drive.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Sparkman Club -- zip 75229 -- is a great suggestion -- but the area does border dicey neighborhoods

Highland Village in Lewisville offers a lot for young families such as walking paths and good schools and a strong community feel, its very commuter friendly for working in Lewisville --but not old houses

Another option is University Hills in Las Colinas......older homes in a very charming area. Low crime, but schools are not great. Example just for geo fix is MLS#:11920181 (I think this one is under contract but homes come up for sale so if you like the area you could be on the lookout)

Last edited by Squirl; 06-09-2013 at 06:52 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Yes, they can afford those neighborhoods. At the upper end of budget ($325-360k), there are plenty of 3 BR / 1700-2000sf-ish homes that are in just north of Lakewood proper (would likely be in "Lakewood" to someone who doesn't know the area well) in the NE & NW quadrants of Mockingbird & Abrams, and the SE/SW /NW quadrants of Lovers & Abrams. On the lower/ middle part of their budget ($250-300k), they could also afford to live on the east side of the Lake- Old Lake Highlands & lots of neifhborboods zoned to Hexter elem. Another great choice for the upper budget end is Hollywood Heights/ Santa Monica, just south of White Rock.

M Streets is more difficult, however there are homes east of M Streets (between M Streets & Lakewood proper) in their budget, too. These homes will have the smallest SF of any neighborhood mentioned, but OP didn't state desired size and it may not be crazy if they are coming from Boston / NYC where families think 1500sf is "normal".

Now whether they want to drive 1+ hour each way to Lewisville and back is a different story. People do it from Frisco or McKinney to downtown Dallas every day and hardly anyone on the forum dissuades them. I wouldn't do it, but if they go eyes wide open to what the drive is, they may still decide these neifhborboods are for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas