Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:17 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,800 times

Advertisements

The Hottest Dallas Housing Market Ever
Numbers don't lie this chart displays North Texas sales that closed between January 1 and April 30. Oak Lawn and North Oak Cliff are on fire!

Credit: D Magazine

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 11-17-2014 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
The biggest factor holding DOWN prices are conservative lender appraisals.

They are based on old sales history and the lenders want them ultra conservative.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,400 times
The larger economic picture dictates interest rates need to be edged upward.

We can't continue to have housing markets behave like this. It's just plain stupid and shortsighted.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Well, actually, they kinda do. But "Hottest Market Ever!" sells magazine articles and yields hits on the internet.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM

681 posts, read 1,671,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

They are based on old sales history and the lenders want them ultra conservative.
I guess that's good news for me....so lenders don't forsee home prices spiking out of control?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 AM

50 posts, read 98,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
The larger economic picture dictates interest rates need to be edged upward.

We can't continue to have housing markets behave like this. It's just plain stupid and shortsighted.
As long as good lending standards are being followed, then this should be okay. A major part that the rest of the country saw a huge crash was mortgage lenders being willing to loan half a million dollars without any documentation of income or any regard for what the house was going to appraise for. If lenders are basically giving money away, it can only result in huge inflation... But locally, houses around mine in North Dallas that I would think were worth $300K last year are now listed (and selling) for $400K+

Plus, as prices rise, you should see more sellers come off the sidelines and list their property, which should have a downward effect on prices, since you will have more supply.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I guess that's good news for me....so lenders don't forsee home prices spiking out of control?
Not exactly. The appraisals are not keeping pace with market values....therefore many buyers are choosing to put more money down than planned in order to continue with the purchase after a low appraisal.

Take this made-up, but realistic scenario:
1. Contract price on home is $500k, which would be $100k (20%) down and a $400k mortgage.

2. Appraisal comes in at $450k. Because only 2 homes in the immediate neighborhood (say .5 mile radius) have sold in MLS in the last 90-180 days (due to many other "off market" / private or hip pocket sales AND the general scarcity of homes on the market), the appraiser keeps going further and further back in time to get his 6 comps the banks wants him to evaluate for the appraisal. This means that home sales from 1+ year(s) ago are being used as "comps" for the super hot and competitive spring 2013 market. It would seem the rational thing to do would be to expand the comp neighborhood out to a 1 mile radius to gather more recent sales data, but that isn't happening at most major lenders. The recent comps support the $500k contract price, but mixed with old comps, the appraisal value goes down to $450k.

3. Bank will now only make an 80% LTV mortgage at the $450k value, meaning a $360k loan when the buyer was counting on a $400k loan.

4. Buyer has 3 choices: 1) attempt to negotiate the purchase price down (even though the most recent sold comps indicate $500k IS fair market value AND the seller has multiple back up contracts), 2) walk & terminate the contract for inability to secure financing, or 3)bring another $40k cash to closing. Awesome, huh?

So, no. Not good for you and not good for the housing market, but hurray for the banks doing a fantastic (sarcasm) job of CYA.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
As long as good lending standards are being followed, then this should be okay. A major part that the rest of the country saw a huge crash was mortgage lenders being willing to loan half a million dollars without any documentation of income or any regard for what the house was going to appraise for. If lenders are basically giving money away, it can only result in huge inflation... But locally, houses around mine in North Dallas that I would think were worth $300K last year are now listed (and selling) for $400K+

Plus, as prices rise, you should see more sellers come off the sidelines and list their property, which should have a downward effect on prices, since you will have more supply.

Cost of capital is what drives supply and demand in housing. Not sure I completely agree that more supply at high prices will drive demand down. Possibly a theory I suppose since unemployment is still high and on the fence buyers may pull back. Past few years have had plentiful, artificially priced, supply on the market and it's killed values.

But overall the cycles are driven by low or high interest rates..And the case of the past 20 years or so it wasn't as simple as appraisals and no doc. It was a large segment suddenly had access to the capital (sub-prime) they needed to buy a home. Second, speculators drove up appraisals like crazy in some of those markets. Those mistakes have been learned from, I hope..But interest rates staying this low can only be justified by the rate of unemployment being high..Inflation is coming, whether people want to believe it or not, and I don't care about stats that prove it's not. I can feel increases in the cost of basic items, food for example. It's not going to be pretty if we don't learn to curb the frenzied markets with interest rates.

The market spiked again so quickly this year, I just think it's a great way to get ourselves back into the place we were in. Double-dip housing market potentially..I want a stable housing market that allows my value increase marginally over time. Over time the US housing market has increased, but at the rate we've been doing things over the past 20 years it's eroded median home value increases.

Despite the cyclicality of housing markets it obviously can't be timed, and we rarely realize what went wrong until after the fact. If rates were edged up in say 2000, it would have cooled things off. This coming from someone who plans on selling at some point in the near future, so take this FWIW. If I were in my forever house I really wouldn' t be as concerned I guess.

Last edited by skids929; 07-11-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
And the case of the past 20 years or so it wasn't as simple as appraisals and no doc. It was a large segment suddenly had access to the capital (sub-prime) they needed to buy a home.
Which was caused by financial institutions completely failing to properly assess risk, which is a huge issue in credit boom and bust cycles over the last hundreds (if not thousands, really, albeit not in a traditional 'banking' sense) of years.

Low interest rates won't get banks lending if they have an inflated estimate of the default rate on loans (overestimating credit risk). Late last decade they were underestimating that risk, big time.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
The information presented here: //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...rth-texas.html would seem to indicate that the average home price in East Dallas has risen by $50,000 since the D Magazine story was written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: