Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:44 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I work for a consulting company and we travel extensively so we have a very strict team of tax auditors to help us make sure we are in compliance with tax laws. It doesn't matter where your company's offices are located. You are taxed in the state that you are physically located while working.
+ 1 and might I add there is a minimum number of hours required. My firm collected tax from my pay check based on my location and "equalized" it at the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 05:51 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
The bolded part is incorrect. I worked for a top management consulting firm and it was clear black & white on ink that if you spend time in another state for business then you DO OWE that state's income tax of course subject to minimum hours. Very common actually. However, the firm will "equalize" it by reimbursing it.
So you said exactly the same thing I did and I'm wrong... interesting.

At any rate, none of that is applicable to the OP's question. Again client billing is revenue for your employer who presumably has operations in Texas. So as long as you don't cross the border and go onto the client's state to work you don't owe tax since your income source is from your employer not the client.

The OP's wife's income source is from her employer who is in another state so income tax to that state is due (or least all my prior research has lead me to that conclusion but things could have changed in three years). This all changes if the OP's wife's company has operations in Texas since they might be able to change her employment to be under the company's Texas tax ID but this wasn't stated as the case so I didn't factor that in.

This is all just speculation until the OP talks to a tax professional.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:31 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
So you said exactly the same thing I did and I'm wrong... interesting.

At any rate, none of that is applicable to the OP's question. Again client billing is revenue for your employer who presumably has operations in Texas. So as long as you don't cross the border and go onto the client's state to work you don't owe tax since your income source is from your employer not the client.

The OP's wife's income source is from her employer who is in another state so income tax to that state is due (or least all my prior research has lead me to that conclusion but things could have changed in three years). This all changes if the OP's wife's company has operations in Texas since they might be able to change her employment to be under the company's Texas tax ID but this wasn't stated as the case so I didn't factor that in.

This is all just speculation until the OP talks to a tax professional.
My bad. I think you are right. I was wrong in assuming that working for a client in another state does not mean on-premise always and you explained that further down.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 PM

94 posts, read 204,432 times
I work from home, for a company headquartered in another state. My office location is listed as "home office" (as opposed to an office or cube in a company office) and so I believe they withhold taxes based on my home address. I am not 100% sure of the details, but I know for sure that I paid state income tax when I was living in California (same company/same job), and now I don't.

My company has offices in many locations and employees with a variety of working arrangements, so I think they just know how to do things. If your wife's company doesn't have a lot of experience with people working outside the STL area, it might be more work to get them to do things right.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 AM

33 posts, read 59,714 times
She checked with Accountant and her HR/Payroll people.
She will not have state income tax taken out cause she lives and works in Texas.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
She checked with Accountant and her HR/Payroll people.
She will not have state income tax taken out cause she lives and works in Texas.
You could have stopped reading at the second post.

(Frankly, that would have been good thing after reading all the misinformation by people in this thread!)

Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 PM

81 posts, read 307,370 times
I work from home also. My company is in Chicago so my paychecks automatically deduct for IL state tax, but at the end of the year I claim non resident. Hope that helps!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 PM

81 posts, read 307,370 times
Wish I could get them to stop but I guess it must depend on how that company and state operates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: