Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM

14 posts, read 18,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Hi My husband and I are seriously considering moving from So Cal to the suburbs of Dallas/Fort Worth. We were both born and raised in So Cal and our parents and siblings are also still here and we're all within 20 minutes or less of each other. The thing is, we're trying to buy a house out here (our first) and so far we haven't been able to find anything that meets our criteria: safe neighborhood, great elementary school and decent house. We don't need stainless steel and granite and fancy-schmancy finishes or private schools- we just want our children to be safe and happy and get a great public education. Our budget is nothing more than 225K; my husband is the bread winner and I am a SAHM, so our money is budgeted very carefully. We have great credit, almost no debt and own our cars; our mortgage lender told us we're exactly who banks want to lend to.
Anyway, we just can't seem to find anything that is for us; the cities that DO have properties in our price ranges are just not safe and are run-down and/or have crappy school districts. We've been thinking about Texas for YEARS and now that we have our own family we want to be in a place where we can actually afford a house and have some financial breathing room. Being in CA has just been miserable for the last several years, as the costs for everything continue to go up; we've seen the housing market go nuts here the last year and we are afraid that if we don't buy something very soon, we'll be priced out of the market, even when I go back to work (but that won't be for another 3 years when our youngest gets to kindergarten) and there really won't be anything for us.
So, my question is this: is it worth it to leave our families behind and start a new life out in Texas?
Is it worth it? That is up to you. Leaving home can be tough. I am from California as well and am getting ready to temporarily move to DFW for about 6 months. Very sad to leave LA but I am excited for this 6 month adventure. Texas is definitely cheaper in every way. I rented a house for 6 months in Denton, a suburb of DFW. I was shocked at how cheap housing is! Good luck to you, whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 PM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txred View Post
i will play devil's advocate here and will say upfront that i did not read all the replies. I was born in texas and had family there and in georgia. My mom and dad split up and she moved me to the west coast. While growing up i saw my father about 4 times, my cousins, aunt, uncle and grandparents about ten times total that i can recall. While my mom was really good about making me send them cards and thank you letters, i still felt (also as an only child) that they were just these "other" people clear across the country that i never really knew. When i grew up my mom was still the go-between, telling them how i was and me how they were doing. I spoke to my aunt and grandparents on the phone occassionally but it wasn't the same. When i was 27 my mom passed away and suddenly i was alone and although my family came to california for a few days, once they left it was very hard. I have tried to connect with them, the grandparents have all passed, but it is still hard having been raised so far away.

Now maybe other families have ways of keeping in touch and seeing each other more often, a friend of mine and her family traveled back to visit family about once or twice a year. When i grew up either we couldn't afford it or my mom just didn't see the point. As much as i understand wanting a better quality of life and a home, if i could re-write my childhood i would insist on being within a days' drive and seeing my family as much as possibly over the years.

I wonder if you've considered other areas closer to your family? I know in reno/sparks you can get a great home in a nice neighborhood for your budget. Granted, the jobs and big city life are not here like in dallas, but you'd be 8 hours from family and may still find what you want.
+1

Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Why are Californians so fixated on moving to Texas? There are 48 other states in the U.S., and the average Californian would fare much better in about half of those other 48 states than in Texas.

I really do not get it.
I wonder about that too. At least this one is willing to move to Dallas. Most of them don't consider any other city but Austin.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I wonder about that too. At least this one is willing to move to Dallas. Most of them don't consider any other city but Austin.
Rightfully so. I mean, come on. Dallas has a little bit of cool stuff but man, come on. And now it's chock full 'o' unwelcoming natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas