Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM

33 posts, read 59,238 times

Advertisements

So we are still in the "trying to find the right place for us" planning stages, but would really appreciate some insight into the Dallas area. I am married with 2 kids (one is graduating high school and one is 3 years old). My husband and I are both in the medical field (I am a MRI Technologist and he is a X-Ray Technologist). We both grew up in the San Francisco bay area; however, we have both lived in various states of the country. We make decent money, but can't afford anything around here! lol We would love to be able to buy a nice home to call our own and have our son grow up in. Homes in this area (Campbell) are 700k and up (for decent ones). I refuse to pay that for what you get. Long story short, we have been doing a lot of research, trying to find out what states and areas would give us most of what we want. Low cost of living, great education, low crime, accessibility to amenities. We long for a friendly, small community. We do not want to live in the city, but would prefer a suburb, i.e., Frisco, Plano, Allen, Garland, etc.
I realize we would be giving up some nice things too, like weather :-) But we are at the point that we would sacrifice that to have a nice home and not feel like we are living in a rat race. We cannot get ahead! By the way, we both have lived in Florida and know all about hot weather
Any advice on areas to look more into would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Sorry no one has yet replied but I'll kick your query back to the top and hope someone from the Dallas area can help.

BTW, your medical fields would seem to work well in Lubbock as well would your desire to get out of a rat race.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 PM

Thank you very much for your help :-) I will have to look more into Lubbock!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 PM

6 posts, read 7,593 times
Frisco/Mckinney Area is awesome if you have a family

Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Your home budget, job location, and desired commute time will dictate the advice you get on where to live. Without the crucial bits of info regarding job and commute, you won't get much specific advice on this post.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe777 View Post
Frisco/Mckinney Area is awesome if you have a family
Thank you! I was actually looking into those areas. I was a little concerned about the distance of McKinney, but that was based on the assumption I would find a job in the city. But I am in the medical field, so wherever they have a medical center, I could have a chance :-) I do have a family and that is what I am looking for a family friendly community with great schools and affordable homes.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Your home budget, job location, and desired commute time will dictate the advice you get on where to live. Without the crucial bits of info regarding job and commute, you won't get much specific advice on this post.
TurtleCreek80, thank you for your response. Our home budget would be about 350k or under. As of right now, we do not have any jobs lined up; however, the medical facility I work for has centers in Plano and in Dallas (so transferring would be a possibility if they have open positions). I am a MRI Tech and my husband is a X-Ray Tech at a level 1 Trauma center. So wherever they have medical facilities, hopefully we could get jobs. We have not started applying, because we have not made that "final decision" to make the move. We know we want to move, we are weighing out all the pros and cons of different areas. So I guess any advice on the areas would be appreciated. We would rent for a bit before we buy, so we can get a good feel for the different areas. Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Smaller communities near DFW with good schools that you might like:

Coppell
Rockwall
Trophy Club
Argyle
Roanoke

Old 09-03-2013, 04:52 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Male sure that you live within an easy commute of several hospitals. Many of the communities that Squirl mentions are only near one or two hospitals, and if those hospitals don't need anyone in your field, you will be facing a lengthy commute to the main medical districts, which are near downtown Fort Worth and just north of downtown Dallas.

Again, as we often tell potential transplants, find the job first, and then decide where to move!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
The only Level I Trauma Centers are in downtown Dallas or Ft. Worth. Not to say other hospitals don't need techs but if he is used to fast-paced work, that's where it is.

Baylor has a big new hospital just west of McKinney on Hwy 380. Plano has a lot of smaller facilities. There's childrens hospitals in Ft. Worth and either south Frisco or north Plano, I never know where I am over there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas