Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:55 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times

Advertisements

For budget and being north of Dallas, Fannin County has land available. That is NE of Dallas, but will increase your drive time. No major hospitals in the county. Not sure there are any private schools in the county either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:49 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I doubt you'd get 50-100 acres for $200k. Even in Celina, I think 50 acres runs north of $1M just the land.

Here is an example of something cheap in Celina.
57.7 Acres in Collin County, Texas - Property - LandAndFarm.com - Land for Sale

With a house at $2.9MM
57.87 Acres in Collin County, Texas - Property - LandAndFarm.com - Land for Sale

Celina will be a easy 90+ min commute to downtown in rush hours. I honestly don't think OP will get anything at that price range within 1 hour from downtown Dallas / Love field. I suggest looking South or east of downtown.
I thought he said $750k-$1M budget, not $200k ?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:51 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I thought he said $750k-$1M budget, not $200k ?
Said if empty lot they want the land to be 200k is my understanding.

Last edited by Aceraceae; 09-13-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 8,788 times
That is correct. After reading the posts here and doing additional research I am leaning more towards South & South East of Dallas. I actually found a home in Midlothain that looks pretty nice, and maybe even a little further away...

Something like this...40 acres is nice...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...22-94430?row=3

Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
The house is lovely, but if you aren't horse people, why are you looking at a property with such a huge horse barn?

Also, you need to be aware that Midlothian has had air quality issues in the past due to the cement kilns nearby...

And yes, your commute from Midlothian to the Galleria area is going to absolutely suck.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 8,788 times
We could easily remove some of the horse stalls and de-convert it back to a standard pole barn. We have never owned horses, but my wife and daughter would love one or two.

Was more just tossing the house out as an reference than anything...

Thanks for the heads up on the air quality issues.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Identify the kids' school and also your job and work from there......if you are dead set on Montessori, work the school angle first and then look within a reasonable radius of the school

Old 10-28-2013, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 25,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrakt0r View Post
We could easily remove some of the horse stalls and de-convert it back to a standard pole barn. We have never owned horses, but my wife and daughter would love one or two.

Was more just tossing the house out as an reference than anything...

Thanks for the heads up on the air quality issues.

Don't get too caught up on the "air quality issues" of Midlothian. Most people who make these claims don't live anywhere near Midlothian and don't know what they're talking about. I don't say that to flame, I say it as honestly as I can - many people hear something from someone who heard something and then repeat it ad nauseum on forums.

Midlothian does have 3 factories spread out across a large area of land. They also contribute ~49% of the overall pollution to the entire DFW area and are heavily regulated & monitored for air quality. What does that mean? It means that whether you live in Midlothian, DeSoto, Plano, Southlake, or even Highland Park (they do still breathe the same air as the rest of us) you'll be affected by the pollution from the plants.

Midlothian is a great town to consider if you're looking for someplace south of D/FW. It's equidistant from both Dallas and Fort Worth, has a great school system and city government, and the cost of living strikes an excellent balance between affordable and still mostly upscale. There was a period of rapid growth during the 00's that saw the town grow from ~10k to nearly 20k people over 10 years; the growth slowed down during the recession but is still healthy, and the town is still very, very rural in many places.

Midlothian is also a few miles from Baylor Waxahachie (which is building a brand new facility) and about 15 minutes from Methodist Mansfield; it also has both a Baylor and Methodist medical center in town that provide many medical services, including imaging and lab work.

There are a lot of good areas around D/FW to choose from; Midlothian is just one of them. Just don't let the old "air quality" argument deter you from considering it. Nearly every town has something industrial nearby that in some way pollutes the air or water. It's certainly an unfortunate reality of most rural areas that when the industrial sites were built they were considered far enough away from even rural populations at that time to be "ok." Forney has a massive natural gas power plant, Waxahachie (and soon Maypearl) have the Magnablend facilities, etc. In north Dallas there may be less industry but there's increased population, vehicle emissions, traffic, airports, less value per square foot, and being that much closer to Oklahoma, which is a completely different type of pollution. (I kid, I kid. Oklahoma is beautiful.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas