Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

From that aerial picture, that rear property backs up to a major arterial. SOMETHING different from what you are proposing to buy will inhabit that spot (meaning no one is going to develop that spot with more acreage custom homes). Of all the things that could move there, would say a church would be the least intrusive. It could be a for profit day care. It could be any number of retail establisments with their loading docks and big rigs spewing diesel right across your fence line. Or worse yet, an apartment complex.

A church would be the absolute best choice. Only used a couple of times a week, and if a mormon church with their structure of building new wards when their congregations expand, you won't have a mega church bursting at the seams and the potential neighborhood problems described by the poster above in the Park Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
I have a large post office behind my house and love it. They are never at work and there are surveillance cameras covering the alley

That said, residential appraisals never go up when there is commercial development adjacent compared to empty land so be prepared for the decrease in valuation. If you will be staying there 15 years, it may not matter a great deal but it will be an uphill battle for much of that.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,086 times
When I read the title, I thought the church in back was a feature. Like having a garage or guest house or something. I mean hey, it is Texas!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 PM

36 posts, read 95,086 times
Thank you for all the responses folks. Truly appreciate it and it has helped shape our decision w.r.t this house.
We have just started looking and feel that maybe there is something better out there which is less of a compromise for this level of spend.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 PM

24 posts, read 46,566 times
To the best of my knowledge, Mormon churches never run daycares out of their meetinghouses. That said, I think some people would be turned off by the proximity.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times
Back in the 1979-1981 my parents lived in a townhouse next to a Jewish Temple. We literally shared a brick wall with them. My parents only complaint was the noise during their worship services, the lack of parking spaces out front during days of worship and the biggest complaint of all was the crowds of people blocking the sidewalk in front of the temple and of our townhouse right after service once the congregants came outside to socialize.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstarr View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Mormon churches never run daycares out of their meetinghouses. That said, I think some people would be turned off by the proximity.
I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone would be turned off by living in close proximity to a church. Would somebody please explain that to me?

With respect to Mormon churches specifically, and to some of the issues that have been raised on this thread: adequate parking for the congregants would definitely be provided, and no one would have to part on the street. The grounds would always be immaculately kept, with lawns and flowers and trees. There would be absolutely nothing about the property itself or the building constructed on it that would be an eyesore or an inconvenience to the neighbors.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone would be turned off by living in close proximity to a church. Would somebody please explain that to me?
Houses of worship are big, noisy buildings with disruptive trash pickup and disruptive deliveries. Many have schools or daycares which contribute to increased noise/traffic. There's also the issue of light pollution from the parking lot.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Houses of worship are big, noisy buildings with disruptive trash pickup and disruptive deliveries. Many have schools or daycares which contribute to increased noise/traffic. There's also the issue of light pollution from the parking lot.
Agreed, where my parents now live there is always a lot of traffic on Sunday mornings cutting down my parents street (as my parents street is a shortcut) to the church 3.5 blocks away from where they live. (We can tell they're going to church since a lot of them come from out of state, NJ, CT, PA plates, plus they're all dressed in their best attire)

At the intersection of my parents block there were frequent accidents and fender benders throughout the week since many speeding motorists would just miss the stop sign, or not even make a complete stop but a rolling stop and hit a car passing by in the intersection. I'm not sure how many of these accidents involved the church goers but a few years ago the city finally put up a traffic light at the corner which greatly reduced traffic accidents.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Agreed, where my parents now live there is always a lot of traffic on Sunday mornings cutting down my parents street (as my parents street is a shortcut) to the church 3.5 blocks away from where they live. (We can tell they're going to church since a lot of them come from out of state, NJ, CT, PA plates, plus they're all dressed in their best attire)

At the intersection of my parents block there were frequent accidents and fender benders throughout the week since many speeding motorists would just miss the stop sign, or not even make a complete stop but a rolling stop and hit a car passing by in the intersection. I'm not sure how many of these accidents involved the church goers but a few years ago the city finally put up a traffic light at the corner which greatly reduced traffic accidents.
Of course if you lived near an Orthodox temple, you wouldn't have to worry about traffic on Saturdays because everybody walks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: