Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 12,407 times

Advertisements

Hi!
Our family is seriously considering a move from San Diego to TX. Hubby's job would be in Mabank and we are looking at Forney for a place to live. We have 2 boys, ages 6 and 8.

What can you tell me about Forney? I've done a ton of research online - our next step is to visit but I'm just trying to get a "feel" for the area. I'm so anxious to visit but we're not at that point yet - so I'm doing the next best thing

I'm just looking for your experiences - how are the schools, the people, lifestyle, etc.

And, what about utility costs? In San Diego, we pay an average of $270 per month just for gas/electric for a 1918 sf house. That's on months when we don't run heat or air...so I don't know what to expect out there.

Thank you

Lauri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 12:11 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
All the folks I know who live in Forney like it a lot. It's not a Keep Up with the Joneses kinda place (which is a plus in my book), but it did have a lot of growth during the housing boom (not as much as the outer burbs to the north of Dallas). It has more of a country feel.

But ya know, isn't Forney about 40 miles away from Mabank? There is absolutely nothing special about Forney that's worth a 40 mile commute.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 PM

Hi FarNorthDallas
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, Forney is about 40 miles from Mabank - but my hubby is already used to a 30-40 minute commute anyhow. From what we've been able to learn, it seems like our lifestyle would fit more with Forney - a bit closer to Dallas (I don't think I can live in the middle of nowhere - I've been in San Diego my whole life!) with a bit of the small town feel. Plus, we haven't found any towns that seem as desirable as far as schools and crime rate. Now, of course, this is just info I've found online and I'm sure we'll be able to tell a LOT more when we actually visit.

Are you familiar with any of the other towns between Forney and Mabank that might be worth looking at?

Thank you so much!!

Old 04-16-2011, 12:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
I'd look in Kaufman or Athens- both are about a 20 minute drive to Mabank, but are larger small towns.

Forney is nice, but nothing more than a bedroom community. No special reason to live there and have him drive 2 hours a day to Mabank- on mostly 2 lane roads, not interstate driving. Get behind the farm truck and he's screwed until he can pass. Plus, Forney is 30+ minutes into downtown Dallas so it's unlikely you'd be going "into town" several times a week...probably more like 2-4 times a month MAX. So live a bit closer to work and a bit furher from Dallas (45-60 min).

Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,865 times
I have a friend who recently relocated to Mabank and loves it. She says she won't leave until her 12yr old graduates. Good luck with your decision. (Mabank to Forney is FAR! on a daily basis)

Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
I agree with everyone else. Mabank is a cute little town and I have known several people who lived there and loved it. With gas at almost $4 a gallon, that 40 mile commute is going to get expensive. Better to live closer to work!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:23 AM

ChristieP,
Gas there is ALMOST $4 a gallon? Holy cow - it's $4.25 now down the block!! Crazy talk

Thanks, everyone, for your responses

Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 AM

50 posts, read 231,937 times
I lived in Forney about 4 years ago in Willow Creek Farms. We moved from Houston to there so it was a big adjustment. It is a small town but we really liked it.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 AM

50 posts, read 231,937 times
I am sorry that was Windmill Farms.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM

34 posts, read 90,969 times
Forney ISD is one of the few districts around the Dallas/Fort Worth Area with an "Exemplary Rating"; so the schools are good. Forney is now the largest city in Kaufman county, just ahead of Terrell. You can find housing from the low 100's to 500's, small lot to several acres, new construction or pre-owned both fall in this price range. Farmers Electric CoOp is the electric company that I have, extremely reasonable (last July & August my bills were around 230 a month - 3600 sqft house). Any other questions just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas