Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:40 PM

33 posts, read 52,548 times

Advertisements

Thanks Brookside, Plano (closer to Richardson) is being strongly considered too. Start my days with looking at Zillow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
Look at the neighborhood around Spring Creek Elementary school (north of Beltline & west of Coit). My coworkers have lived there for years and have children that have gone through the Richardson schools and have done quite well. I had to drop something off at a co workers house today just a block away from the elementary school, the neighborhood has a nice feel to it. It's a Dallas zip code I think (75248?) but schools are Richardson.

This is a nice home in the area I mentioned above:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1-97094?row=14

Last edited by Spree; 10-23-2013 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 09:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Richardson west of 75 is a lovely area, as are newer areas in 75082. 75254 in FND (zoned to RISD) is also good. You could go to Plano, but you don't have to.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 PM

Thanks Spree, the "feel good" neighborhood is what we need. The house is "to die for" inside. I dont know how I feel about Texan ranches yet- everywhere I lived, it was tall and narrow CT, NY, IL....that is how they build them there and they fit in the landscape. And I understand ranches are native to TX. I am sure they are better built than those cuhrazzzy in size McMansions. They are just foreign to my eye. My last place was a 4 level rowhouse. Imagine all those steps if you think, Oh did I turn the iron off?
I will drive around them this weekend.
Thanks BigDGeek. I memorize those two zip codes. 75082- several folks suggested that earlier too. Must be a good place! Plano (closer to Richardson) is within the scope. Loved several houses, but they all have swimming pools. I am paranoid to have a 2 yo around them. Though somehow everyone survives. Gee, that is a change, I am telling you. Swimming pools, no basements, watering house foundations. Gotta learn quick!
Thanks all for your kind responses, you are one really awesome community here!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
I can understand your hesitation about a swimming pool, and if you truly don't want one, that is totally your prerogative. We have small kids (they were 4 y.o. and under 1 when we moved) and we didn't really want a pool either. But the house we fell in love in the area we wanted had one (and still had plenty leftover backyard too), so we decided we'd go for it. We had a pool safety fence installed literally THE DAY we moved in, including an alarm on the back door which was already there from the previous owners. The safety fence truly has been a peace of mind. And the pool has been a wonderful addition to our lives. The kids LOVE swimming and are excellent at it now. And with months of hot hot weather, the pool has been a great way for us to still get outside and enjoy our yard in the brutal summers. Anyway, just FYI Good luck on your home search!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
In my opinion that basic area is a bit of a grocery store desert - in my opinion if you have to go more than a mile to get to a decent grocery store, then it's too far (actually I feel that if you can't theoretically walk to your nearest grocery store it's too far since we're talking cities here -however). I'm not sure why Richardson hasn't addressed that in that area. I'm sure the demand is there. Unless you are cool with buying buying milk and eggs at a 711 or a drug store or are ok with the drive. Not all of Richardson is like that, but if I were you, I'd google the nearest legitimate grocery store before I bought.

The restaurants and other shopping is fine, it's just grocery stores that are lacking in some areas.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 10-24-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 07:12 PM

PlanoGirl: thanks for your insight. Maybe that eventuallty will be the way to go for us. We have not felt the summer heat in TX yet- we just enjoy the warm fall.

TheOverdog: oh, you hit the nail in the head! We lived next door to the Whole Foods in IL, so that was bad for the wallet, but made us addicted to the freshly baked bread. Oh that Whole Foods....
711 will not even be a downgrade, that will be a punishment. Well, State Farm is coming to Richardson, maybe it will change the grocery shopping map.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:08 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
I'm not sure what area Overdog is referring to. But the Kroger I shop at is 2 lights and maybe a mile from the restaurant I own smack in the middle of 75082. Go south instead of north about 2 miles and you get SuperTarget and SuperWalmart. Head east and within 5 minutes you get to another Walmart, an Albertsons and a Sprouts.

I guess if you needed to walk to the grocery store it would suck. Although I suspect walking "from" the grocery store would suck worse

Old 10-24-2013, 10:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
There's no shortage of supermarkets in this part of town. 1 big Kroger, 2 Tom Thumbs, 1 Neighborhood Wal-Mart, 1 Sprouts, 1 Super Target, 1 Natural Grocer, and various ethnic supermarkets to boot.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the info. 75082 is the way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas