Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:12 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

I had an opportunity to see a home in Bluffview, designed by Dilbeck and built in 1947. What an incredible home site and area. Despite the age of the home, it was truly remarkable. I was blown away by its openness and the land as well. Hard to imagine that house was built in this period and even though renovated over time, its basic shell and layout was incredible. New to Dallas area and had no idea this area existed until a few months ago and the character and grace of this bright open area home was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Bluffview is one of our prettiest in-town neighborhoods. Most suburbanites can't imagine that homes sit on acerage along winding country lanes and rolling hills and brooks less than a mile from Love Field! And Dilbeck was one of the best early Dallas architects with a unique sense of whimsy and quirk.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:49 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Beautiful area. One of my favorite places to drive around and look at houses.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Bluffview is one of our prettiest in-town neighborhoods. Most suburbanites can't imagine that homes sit on acerage along winding country lanes and rolling hills and brooks less than a mile from Love Field! And Dilbeck was one of the best early Dallas architects with a unique sense of whimsy and quirk.
Exactly, the trees were incredible too, a large live oak covered an area large enough for 40 people to eat under its shade. Just magical street, yard and home. The character of this home yet high functionality and openness despite its age was a big surprise to me. The land was well over an acre and so private and wooded, totally changed my mind's eye view of Dallas not far from the city center.

I am confused by the definition of bluffview area. When I look it up on MLS, it includes homes in the park cities as well as some in Dallas. I thought Bluffview was not part of park cities? Please clarify if there is a clear definition.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 10-27-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Exactly, the trees were incredible too, a large live oak covered an area large enough for 40 people to eat under its shade. Just magical street, yard and home. The character of this home yet high functionality and openness despite its age was a big surprise to me. The land was well over an acre and so private and wooded, totally changed my mind's eye view of Dallas not far from the city center.

I am confused by the definition of bluffview area. When I look it up on MLS, it includes homes in the park cities as well as some in Dallas. I thought Bluffview was not part of park cities? Please clarify if there is a clear definition.
It's in the same MLS area as the Park Cities (25) along with Greenway Parks, Devonshire, and the other 75209 neighborhoods west of the Tollroad, but is its own neighborhood in the city of Dallas, Dallas schools. Not the Park Cities- which by definition are the towns of Highland Park and University Park (HPISD schools).

Old 10-28-2013, 01:58 AM

990 posts, read 2,302,731 times
Its roughly, NW Highway to the north, Lemmon to the west, Lovers to the south and Inwood to the East.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:21 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Bluffview is so pretty.

If you are interested in a similar area and some similar homes, check out the Lakewood Home Tour on the weekend of Nov 9-10. There is usualy a Dilbeck home on tour. The lots in Lakewood aren't as large, but the homes and trees are similar Moderator cut: only realtor.com

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-30-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Bluffview is so pretty.

If you are interested in a similar area and some similar homes, check out the Lakewood Home Tour on the weekend of Nov 9-10. There is usualy a Dilbeck home on tour. The lots in Lakewood aren't as large, but the homes and trees are similar to Bluffview. Home Tour
Thanks will do, much appreciated. There is so much of Dallas I am just learning about. I did a search on Dilbeck and found some of his work shown on line, including the home we visited yesterday. What an incredible area and home with a monster lot

Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
This is a pretty decent map.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:07 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
I actually own a Dilbeck home. I lived in it for eight years. The Cochran Heights area just east of Central between Henderson and Fitzhugh contains a large concentration of his "storybook cottages".

Here is some other info: Preservation Dallas | Charles Stevens Dilbeck

Charles Stevens Dilbeck drawings, 1929-1969

Moderator cut: notModerator cut: allowed

A few years ago, Preservation Dallas had an Oak Cliff bus tour of Dilbeck homes and a restaurant on Jefferson. I think it was one of their best tours, and I have been going to them for over 30 years.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-30-2013 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas