Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 PM

43 posts, read 125,714 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom looking to relocate from the Hell Hole of New Jersey to a more productive-family community for myself and my 6yr old. I have been told that Texas is a great place. Can anyone tell me more about the Dallas-Fort Worth areas? All of your input will be greatly accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 10:06 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,159,144 times
Could you be a bit more specific as to what you're looking for? The DFW area has lots of great kid-friendly neighborhoods with good schools.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 PM

47 posts, read 156,602 times
I moved from Long Island to Texas..over 20 years ago. Why do you call NJ a hell hole? Is the area you live in? Cost of living? School issues? Would you have a job or need one once you moved?

Generally DFW Metroplex is more affordable than NJ and the sun shines many more days per year. It is definitaly hotter here in the summer but everything is air conditioned. If you can provide more information I can give you more insight.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 PM

I currently live in the city of Newark and call it that because the crime along with the cost of living has gotten outrageous, the quality of education has dropped dramatically and the job market is not as grand as it they want the public to believe. The communities are going to hell in a hand-basket. Nothing is being built for the care and concern of the children. In order to get the quality of education that my child deserves, I would have to mover further out and pay an even higher cost of living!

These are my relocating interests:
1) 3bdrm home with a sizeable yard for my son to play.
2) quality education for his special needs (he is autistic)
3) family oriented activities
4) easy commutes to downtown/home
5) diverse low-crime community

Last edited by movemaker; 11-26-2007 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Press enter too soon

Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 PM

I suggest you first check out the right place for your child's needs and then back into location. Bear in mind that a lot of employment is located in Plano (at least big
Fortune 500 companies) but there is also other areas in a 30-40 mile area between Dallas and Ft. Worth but there really are a lot of good areas and will seem relatively low crime situation versus where you are today. If you are an attorney then downtown Dallas or Ft. Worth may be the place of employment.

I am just not sure where to suggest getting the best schooling for your 6 year old but there really are lots of opportunites for everything else you need. Nothing is crime free and like any city the closer you are to cities more likely the crime. Comparatively though this really is a great area than where you are today. I am familiar with your area but it has been about 7 years since I was there. I can suggest some education sites if you have not found any if you would like

Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Texas Education tend to be better, not to be braggy. Dallas ed. is amongst the best. Lewiseville ISD, Plano ISD, Carollton-Farmers Branch ISD (cfbisd), Herbron ISD, Argyle ISD, and Coppell ISD are some good school district in the metro. The crime is Dallas Proper is rough too, I would say Only North Dallas and maybe DT dallas are ok. Some good suburbs would be Coppell, Plano, Irving, Mckinny, Carrollton, Richardson, Flower mound, Lewisville, and Farmers Branch are good, and generally safe. You will find that the Northwestern part of Dallas county is no Hicktown, this area is extremely Diverse. Since you seem to be going to downtown I would Recommend Coppell, Irving, Farmer's Branch, or Carrollton. How much are you willing to spend on a home?

Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 PM

Thank you both for your input. I am looking to spend at max 250K for a 3-4bdrm home with a good size yard. I am not, however, an attorney. My profession is in the Administration field. Also if you have any info on schools for special needs children, that would definitely be helpful.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:15 AM

Default I have sent a message to a customer who heads

the Allen ISD special needs program to get her opinion of the metroplex schools and the best options. She will be honest.

All else will fall into place. The only thing is what doe you consider a large yard. When I first moved here from the Northeast I was amazed how it seemed that there was so much land yet houses were so close together. Have you ever visited here?

MOD CUT

Last edited by da jammer; 11-27-2007 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-27-2007, 01:42 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,819,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movemaker View Post
1) 3bdrm home with a sizeable yard for my son to play.
2) quality education for his special needs (he is autistic)
3) family oriented activities
4) easy commutes to downtown/home
5) diverse low-crime community
As stated in previous posts, deciding on what community you will prefer will most likely be based first on what the best educational opportunities are available for your son. Here is a link to a previous thread with recommendations for schooling specifically for autism:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ld-autism.html

Secondly, you mention commuting to downtown Dallas. Unless you've already zeroed in on a specific opportunity there, the job market here is as wide open as the metroplex is, with corporations located throughout, i.e., North Dallas, Addison, Las Colinas (Irving), Richardson, Plano, etc., so a
commute to downtown is only one of many options open to you.

I would think that once those two critical items have been decided upon, looking for housing with all the other amentities you require will fall into place as they are available all over as well.

Good luck to you and yours!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 AM

11,872 posts, read 26,948,327 times
There are LOTS of jobs here for administrative people. A good figure for an annual salary in that field is $35k. Keep that in mind when you search for housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas