Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 AM

26 posts, read 36,613 times

Advertisements

Greetings, My wife and I are fleeing Florida, the Yankees have ruined this state, and we are looking at the Texas triangle because we heard that its a good place for people like us to move. We are Florida natives and are looking to live with other Southern natives that share our cultural similarities and general outlook on life.

Florida, minus the extreme northern counties, has become a sunny version of New Jersey. We hate it, and we refuse to raise our children in this crap hole.

We have been told by many that this triangle is a good place to move to because there are a ton of natives, local culture is strong, strong economy, plenty of high paying jobs for those that have degrees, good k-12 schools, and great colleges.

Is this true? We plan to come out to Dallas next November and stay for 2 weeks to check out the city, its suburbs, and other cities within the triangle.

Texas Triangle (Dallas at bottom point, Texarkana at right point, and Oklahoma City at the top point)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
Dallas(the city) is actually fairly liberal. Once you get into the suburbs you will find a more conservative base. I can't really help you out with this in regards to Texarkana nor OKC.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM

This map should help:

Interactive Map: Is Texas Turning Blue? | Center for American Progress Action Fund

Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bova Fett View Post
Texas Triangle (Dallas at bottom point, Texarkana at right point, and Oklahoma City at the top point)
Sorry to break it to you, but that is not the "Texas Triangle": Texas Triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas isn't "southern", either. It's Texas. And that's different.

You may also be worried to learn that many of us "natives", as you put it, are Hispanic. We look and sound similar to Mexicans even

Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bova Fett View Post
We have been told by many that this triangle is a good place to move to because there are a ton of natives, local culture is strong, strong economy, plenty of high paying jobs for those that have degrees, good k-12 schools, and great colleges.

Native whats? Texans? LOL...not in DFW. Not anymore. We're being swamped by out of staters. I have this conversation frequently:

Them: "So, where are you from originally?"
Me: "Dallas."
Them: "No, where did you live before?"
Me: "I was born here."
Them: "Oh wow, you're the first person I've ever met who was born here!"

Strong local culture? What does that mean?

Strong economy? Eh...depends on what industry you're in.

Plenty of high-paying jobs? Again, depends on your industry. And how lucky you are, and who you know. And to a certain extent, your ethnic background. (In my industry, not being Indian or Chinese is a handicap.)

Good K-12 schools....eh, I suppose....as good as public K-12 education can be in Texas, which isn't good on the national stage.

Great colleges? DFW is actually short on top tier universities, at least for undergrads. UNT, TWU, UTA...they're OK, not great, not terrible. You can do better than SMU and TCU for undergrad and both are private and pricey. UTD has very good undergraduate programs but it focuses strongly on business and technology. There are some excellent graduate schools here; UT Southwestern is a world-class medical school and UNT has a good med school. SMU has a good law school and a good business school if you want to get your MBA but it's quite pricey.

If you're looking for a safe area with a relatively low cost of living and decent schools, you can certainly find that here though.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Good K-12 schools....eh, I suppose....as good as public K-12 education can be in Texas, which isn't good on the national stage.
Most of what you posted I tend to agree with, but not this. DFW has multiple high schools ranked year after year in the top 100 public high schools in the nation across multiple publications.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Most of what you posted I tend to agree with, but not this. DFW has multiple High Schools ranked year after year in the top 100 public high schools in multiple publications.
2 of those are DISD magnet schools and your odds of getting into them aren't great. Another is HPHS and yet another is Plano West and those are out of most peoples' price ranges.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:40 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
The pay scale for work really varies depending on what industry you are seeking employment. I can tell you that Oklahoma pays significantly less in all of the healthcare fields when compared with DFW,and so does east Texas.

If you are looking for conservative local politics, then you need to look at Tarrant County, and the Fort Worth suburbs. We are the only major metro area in Texas that is still strongly Republican.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
2 of those are DISD magnet schools and your odds of getting into them aren't great. Another is HPHS and yet another is Plano West and those are out of most peoples' price ranges.
You're still neglecting the fact of what you and I both posted. Most "high preforming" schools on those lists(not just texas) and magnet, charter, prep or high income area serving schools. It's just a fact of life and the school system. Sorry you don't like it, but facts are facts and the metro area has many high preforming high schools and districts even held to national standards.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 AM

26 posts, read 36,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but that is not the "Texas Triangle": Texas Triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas isn't "southern", either. It's Texas. And that's different.

You may also be worried to learn that many of us "natives", as you put it, are Hispanic. We look and sound similar to Mexicans even
LOL, apparently there are two of them. I've spoken with dozens of people who swear that its OKC, Dal, and TA.

Race has nothing to do with it, culture is where its at I'm also familiar that Southern and Texan are two different things, but at their heart they share the same values. If I like Dallas, then I'd be glad to assimilate into a Texan.

The blue thing has me worried a bit... but from what I've read, Dallas is a purple city, which means that its about 50-50 red/blue, and with the failures of the Democrats over the past 6 years Dallas could easily tip back to blue. Its no Oklahoma City, but it sure ain't Miami or San Antonio either. So there is hope.

Last edited by Bova Fett; 12-16-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas