Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 7,968 times

Advertisements

What would you all consider a long commute? My current commute is 45min via Subway with a transfer and I'm scared to know what it would be if I drove.

Also any advice for someone moving from NYC to Dallas. We are born NYers and the only sports we're into are Hockey and I rode horses for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 PM

686 posts, read 2,437,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softandelegant View Post
Thanks for the advice so far, the address is 13737 Noel Road, I don't know what part of Dallas that is. I should add that we both have cars that we would bring with us, but would prefer to have the option to not use them. [LEFT][/LEFT]
That's in North Dallas near the Galleria. Unfortunately, you will need a car to get to that location. I work near there and it takes me about 30-35 minutes to drive up there taking side roads - I live on the east side of White Rock Lake. On non-school traffic days I can get there in 25 minutes. There's really no need to bother getting on the tollway if you live east of 75. By the time you actually get to the tollway you can be most of the way there by taking Hillcrest or Preston Rd.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:30 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Taking your work commute out of the mix for a second and just thinking about what's the most Williamsburg-like, you'd probably actually enjoy Deep Ellum the best. Lots of restaurants, clubs, bars, galleries, etc. Lots of altnernative types, including those who work at the Reel FX animation studio (they did that movie "Free Birds" that just came out).

Extra points for being a focal point in the early 20th century for the blues. Home to lots of music festivals like the recent Index Festival INDEX FEST 2. Deep Ellum. Oct 18 & 19 and the Deep Ellum Arts Festival Home. Bishop Arts is cool but, with the exception of the Kessler Theater about a half mile away, there's no music element, like you get in Deep Ellum or Williamsburg.

But the commute from Deep Ellum to your work wouldn't be the best. There are two light-rail stops in Deep Ellum but the route doesn't go near where you work.

You can learn more about Deep Ellum here: http://deepellumtexas.com/

Last edited by TrueDat; 12-17-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
I see tons of hipsters/artsy types near Addison Circle. It's definitely nothing like Williamsburg but it's the closest place to your work where there would be people around your age, and you'd be able to head easily to artsy places on weekends with less than 30 minute drives.

Bishop Arts and Deep Ellum sound like they'dbe to your liking, but the commute would be 30 min+ by car with gas at right around $3/gallon right now. DART rail doesn't go near the area you're working, and it's not that close to the line either, though you could look at bus routes off the Green Line, which has stops in Deep Ellum and Baylor Hospital. They are also building a streetcar line from Union Station downtown to Bishop Arts, but I don't think it's supposed to reach Bishop until 2015.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 AM

7 posts, read 7,968 times
Thanks for all the advice, a 30+ min commute isn't something that bothers me, I have a 40+ minute commute now and before this I drove out of the city about 45-75 mins to a job while gas here in NY was around $4.50.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softandelegant View Post
Thanks for all the advice, a 30+ min commute isn't something that bothers me, I have a 40+ minute commute now and before this I drove out of the city about 45-75 mins to a job while gas here in NY was around $4.50.
If you can live with a 45 minute commute and can forgo public transit to get to work, definitely go with Bishop Arts.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
I would probably look at Deep Ellum first. Bishop arts is cool but small. Closer to more stuff in Deep Ellum.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceraceae View Post
i would probably look at deep ellum first. Bishop arts is cool but small. Closer to more stuff in deep ellum.
+1

Old 12-18-2013, 03:25 PM

617 posts, read 1,042,207 times
Also the Cedars (immediately south of downtown).

Deep Ellum and Exposition Park are more warehouse and loft buildings, whereas Bishop Arts is more residential.

Cedars is a weird mix of industrial and residential.

Deep Ellum has music venues and bars, whereas Bishop Arts has artisanal chocolate (Dude Sweet) and coffee (Oddfellows). Like different parts of Brooklyn. I see Deep Ellum/Expo Park as more of a home for bike-messenger and punk types, and Bishop Arts as more for emo/liberal-arts types.

Coming from New York: be prepared for the "where is everybody" feeling. There just aren't that many people on foot, even in the "urban" parts of town. There just isn't the same urban energy as New York. Don't judge Dallas by New York standards or you will be disappointed. Judge it for what it is and be thrilled.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:48 PM

21 posts, read 41,956 times
Hipster Neighborhoods in Dallas | The Dallas Whisperer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas