Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 AM

743 posts, read 1,321,217 times

Advertisements

I imagine you would be happy in Rowlett.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM

28 posts, read 60,648 times
I currently work at a acura dealer in california. I have found four of them in the dfw area with one being in Plano. I have also worked at a dodge, chrysler, jeep dealer and could easily go back to those. I have begun sending emails to dealers to put my name out there already and to see if anyone is hiring. I would prefer not to drive 30 mins or more one way to work, but i know that all depends on where i get hired. I believe that renting for the first 6 months will probably be the smartest thing to do untill i find a ideal place.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_agee View Post
I currently work at a acura dealer in california. I have found four of them in the dfw area with one being in Plano. I have also worked at a dodge, chrysler, jeep dealer and could easily go back to those. I have begun sending emails to dealers to put my name out there already and to see if anyone is hiring. I would prefer not to drive 30 mins or more one way to work, but i know that all depends on where i get hired. I believe that renting for the first 6 months will probably be the smartest thing to do untill i find a ideal place.
Yup...you got it!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:28 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup...you got it!
Times two!

To the OP - yes, there are many very nice communities with good to excellent schools in your price range. It'll be more about A) where you eventually find work, and 2) the type of area you prefer. Richardson is a slightly older, more eclectic suburb with some character. DFW has been growing dramatically, so much of it is new construction with chains and strip malls that can feel generic. However, newer has its advantages as well.

You can look up all the data you want, but in the end you'll want to explore parts to get the feel of the areas. If you read posts on this forum it will give you links to various data sources as well as giving you insights into different communities, so you can use that as a starting point before you come down and venture out on your own while renting.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,498 times
I would rent first. The commuting in DFW stinks (I just finished a 1.5 hour commute home). Make sure you buy close to your place of employment. Welcome to Texas and good luck.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:42 PM

100 posts, read 163,633 times
I'm moving from California to the DFW/Plano area soon and I'm in a similar situation...well minus the wife and kids. But we're about the same age and I'm moving mainly for the lower cost of living and to experience a different part of the country. Good luck with everything and I hope your move goes smoothly.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-18-2014 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 01-17-2014, 09:09 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,701 times
We're fairly new to the Dallas area ourselves. (We relocated for my husband's job.) What shocked us the most is the cost of owning a home here. Yes, houses cost less, but factor in the property tax rate (I understand it's 2%-3% around most of DFW) and the higher insurance and utilities, and you're almost paying SoCal prices.
And, yes, find the job first because the freeways are a nightmare.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:14 PM

138 posts, read 216,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
We're fairly new to the Dallas area ourselves. (We relocated for my husband's job.) What shocked us the most is the cost of owning a home here. Yes, houses cost less, but factor in the property tax rate (I understand it's 2%-3% around most of DFW) and the higher insurance and utilities, and you're almost paying SoCal prices.
And, yes, find the job first because the freeways are a nightmare.
Texas does have high property tax rates but there is no state income tax so it offsets some.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 PM

From what I have seen Texas property tax is around 2% in some counties. I could be wrong. Currently in nor cal I'm paying 1.5 so not too much different. For 250k though I am finding 4br 3bath homes in Texas that are 2500 sq ft plus. My little 3br 2.5 bath 1366sq ft. house in Cali will sell for 250k. What about smog? Does every county not have smog in Texas? Only some? Anyone care to share their vehicle reg. costs?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:48 PM

Tornado insurance will be a new one for me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas