Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 AM

289 posts, read 1,138,645 times

Advertisements

We've never had a pool in a climate that gets cold at all (from Southern California). We just bought a house with a 1995 typical gunite pool/spa combo. I looked here and online and the only suggestion I see is to continue the chemicals as normal, run the pump at half of the normal time, and otherwise continue like it's summer. Anyone here do anything different or have anything else to suggest?

If it gets really cold for a few days (freezing), should we cover any pipes? The previous owner left us a faucet cover for the regular hose faucet, but we don't know if pool pipes require any special treatment.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
When the temps get at freezing or below you should run your pump. Ours is automatically set to come on when the temp reaches 34 degrees. Other than that we don't do anything special. I know of several people that cover their pool for the winter but we never have.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 PM

150 posts, read 857,811 times
Our pool also had pump auto run at 34 degrees. Other than keeping eye on chemicals and the running pump, we made sure our heater worked (it was gas) and heated the spa a few times. Got pics of us sitting in the spa with about 4 inches of snow piled around. You might have the pool serviced once to make sure everything is still as it should be (it must have been to have passed inspection at time of your purchase) before winter sets in. We never covered our pool and none of our neighbors did either. As long as the pump is in working order it should be fine. If you don't have an automatic freeze protection, I would think it would be a good investment. I do know friends of ours living near Melissa/Anna were without power for days in early 2005 and they along with others in the community sustained some damage due to the pipes freezing. I admit, I used to worry about "what if" the power was off a prolonged time during a deep freeze, but there isn't much you can do about that. I've been here 23yrs and do not ever remember being without power more than a few hours while living in the McKinney city limits.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,645 times
Thanks! So, besides actual 34 or below temps, how much do you run the pump in winter compared to summer? (It does look like our pump is set to go on at 35 degrees.)

Old 12-11-2007, 09:28 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashina View Post
Thanks! So, besides actual 34 or below temps, how much do you run the pump in winter compared to summer? (It does look like our pump is set to go on at 35 degrees.)
It comes on the same amount every day all year round so that the water stays clean. Ours comes on at 9am and goes off somewhere around 4pm.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:28 AM

150 posts, read 857,811 times
Yes, ours was set to run about 6 hours every day, sometime during the day time. Although in the winter it can run more due to the temps. In the summer I remember my husband running it additional times because he said we were using it so much. I think it just made him feel better in regards to chemical balance/ionizer and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas