Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree with this. Nobody ever asks me what church I go to. I don't "look Jewish" and my surname isn't a stereotypically Jewish one so people don't automatically think I'm Jewish. I can pass for a shiksa. But even so, nobody ever asks. Like....EVER.

Most people really DO. NOT. CARE. Which is how it should be.

Nobody's ever offered to "save" me either, or told me I'm going to hell because I don't accept Jesus as the Messiah. They may THINK that, but they have sense enough not to say it.
As I've noted, I HAVE been asked "what church I attend" or something similar...about 5 times or so since moving down here 3.5 years ago.

So, once or twice a year.

Now, granted, this is once or twice a year more than I was ever asked up north (or in the PNW), so yes, there is a difference. But I will agree that it's overblown. Once or twice a year is hardly all the time or anything close to it. Sure, there's more "religion" here than in some other parts of the country, but it ain't THAT bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
As I've noted, I HAVE been asked "what church I attend" or something similar...about 5 times or so since moving down here 3.5 years ago.

Now, granted, this is once or twice a year more than I was ever asked up north (or in the PNW), so yes, there is a difference. But I will agree that it's overblown. Once or twice a year is hardly all the time or anything close to it. Sure, there's more "religion" here than in some other parts of the country, but it ain't THAT bad.
It's that, "Anton LaVey for President" t-shirt you always wear that makes people ask.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:02 PM

382 posts, read 629,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post

Interesting....this is almost our exact experience after moving around the same time and our observation too.

We've lived in different areas of the south (metropolitan areas). Also, having worked in many "northern" cities too, it sure looks like there are more (and bigger) churches in the south, in general. So, "religion" is a bigger part of the culture here.

Some may take offense at being asked. But that would be like all the PC offense that gets drummed up nowadays.

It is a bit over the line personal, like being asked how much you make, or any other hundreds of questions one gets in life, but in the end if we take offense at every minor issue like this what kind of life would we live?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,824 times
Default Community Comparison

I have some questions about cities my wife and I are debating for our possible relocation (if we go) to Plano, TX.

1. West Plano
2. Frisco
3. McKinney

Our priorities:
1. Great Schools (daughter is in 6th grade)
2. Proximity to Hospitals (wife is a NP)
3. Proximity to Toyota (notice wife proximity is higher priority than mine...lol)
4. Proximity to Catholic Church
5. Proximity to Shopping & Dining (wife does not like the country)

Our price range is $400-$500K.

Any advice on communities within these cities is greatly appreciated.

We are coming down next week (9/20-9/22) to check you your state.

Thank you!

Old 09-13-2014, 11:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Baylor has a newish hospital on Hwy 380 on the western edge of McKinney, there are smaller hospitals in Frisco and Plano as well as larger ones. Just google each city and hospital and you'll see more than you want. There's a big children's hosp. in Plano.

Plano has outstanding schools but they can be a bit competitive. Frisco's schools do not rank as high but the difference is not large. Not everyone wants their kid to go to Harvard, some "settle" for Tulane or Rice, etc. Note that Independent School Districts (ISDs) do NOT follow town or county lines. You have to be careful and check the address against the ISD's web site.

Catholic churches are everywhere, many Hispanics here. Plano and Frisco are shopping havens for shopaholics.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:25 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
Interesting....this is almost our exact experience after moving around the same time and our observation too.

We've lived in different areas of the south (metropolitan areas). Also, having worked in many "northern" cities too, it sure looks like there are more (and bigger) churches in the south, in general. So, "religion" is a bigger part of the culture here.

Some may take offense at being asked. But that would be like all the PC offense that gets drummed up nowadays.

It is a bit over the line personal, like being asked how much you make, or any other hundreds of questions one gets in life, but in the end if we take offense at every minor issue like this what kind of life would we live?
Make it six times now. Happened again last weekend. So maybe twice a year?

Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaReloKY View Post
I have some questions about cities my wife and I are debating for our possible relocation (if we go) to Plano, TX.

1. West Plano
2. Frisco
3. McKinney

Our priorities:
3. Proximity to Toyota (notice wife proximity is higher priority than mine...lol)

Thank you!
West Plano is best- you can't beat the schools and there are several bigger hospitals in the are. Plano Presby is off the Dallas North Tollroad (about 5 minte drive south of Toyota) and there are some specialty hospitals like a big cardiac center (Baylor hospital system, I think) on George Bush Tollroad (about 10 min south of Toyota). Tons of shopping & dining, as well as Catholic Churches.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:25 PM

409 posts, read 1,045,386 times
Quote:

1. West Plano
2. Frisco
3. McKinney

Our priorities:

Thank you!

1. Great Schools ---> Frisco and W Plano
2. Proximity to Hospitals ---> All 3 have tons
3. Proximity to Toyota ----> W Plano is closest followed by Frisco then McKinney
4. Proximity to Catholic Church -- Sorry cant answer this
5. Proximity to Shopping & Dining ---> Frisco and W Plano

Old 09-13-2014, 11:10 PM

54 posts, read 98,358 times
DFW has a good number of decent size hospitals. Plano may work better for your wife. Her commute to Frisco, Allen, Mckinney, Richardson, Dallas, Carrollton, Garland would be doable enough to consider jobs there. Frisco and McKinney doesn't offer this advantage.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:50 AM

230 posts, read 398,541 times
Quote:

1. West Plano
2. Frisco
3. McKinney

Our priorities:

Thank you!

It took me about 2 months to endorse my RN license here, even though I had multi-State licensure before. Your wife really needs to start this process "licensure by endorsement" for both RN and NP credentials. I mean it wasn't "bad" but a little longer than I'd expected. But no worries, shhe will be issued temp NP license within two weeks from initial application. TX is a compact State for licensure. The jobs are there, but it depends what setting she will be looking for and what area of practice for NP. As far as living here's +1 for Plano, just b/c I'm biased and live here . Allen, Frisco and McKinney are fine too. Your budget will get you a place quite comfortably in any of the above.

Good Luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas