Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:22 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoIdentity View Post
Thank you! It's nice to hear from someone who has been in a similar situation.
Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone! Great news: The hospital extended an offer of employment today with me starting in about 3 weeks! I'm looking forward to calling Texas home!
You will be in good company when it comes to transplants - which some love, some don't but overall you'll find your niche.

And congratulations! Making your new home in Texas will come much easier now. I'm sure your friend here will agree, but I don't think I can stress enough think carefully about finding a place not a terrible drive from work. You'll appreciate having more time out of a car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 05:51 PM

382 posts, read 629,097 times
I did not think Indianapolis was in economically rough shape such that no opportunities could be found there (vs say most Ohio or other mid-west cities), unless your skills are rather specific to an industry that has few employers.

You really have to examine what will make Dallas a better location for jobs that you'd qualify for. There are plenty of jobs and growth in Dallas, but are those for the vocation you have chosen, and for the experience level / skills you have.

If you have a unique or in-demand skill for the job market in Dallas, then you may be able to negotiate some compensation package for moving. For most other jobs, I'd say that is low probability, and the fact that you are not yet based in Dallas may be tip the scale in favor of another candidate over you. That is a judgement call you'd have to make based on your understanding of the marketplace for your background.

Once you get past that, your big issue is going to be able to find a good place for you and your family to rent. Landlords want to see that you have a job, and a good credit reference (which hopefully you have). If you do not have a job, they'd like to see that you have sufficient funds in the bank to pay for living for a significant time (say 6 to 12 months - this is not written in stone, but is per each landlord's policy) - note, that is "living" and not just "rent". You may fare better with owner/landlords in this regard vs the professionally managed apartment buildings, IMHO.

It is very good that you are seeking advice in your situation. Don't just seek our advice here. Bounce it off people you know who you trust to give you an honest/objective assessment and would have your interest in mind.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:03 PM

290 posts, read 388,085 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone! Great news: The hospital extended an offer of employment today with me starting in about 3 weeks! I'm looking forward to calling Texas home!
Congrats! You will enjoy the area, and all of the awesome opportunity here. Let us know how everything is coming along! Welcome to Texas!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Outstanding! Make it count.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:12 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Congrats. Get settled and stay in the job for at least six months before you make the girlfriend uproot herself and drag a baby a thousand miles down here. Any plans to get married?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas