Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 26,526 times

Advertisements

Where do you recommend buying st. augustine grass in the DFW area? I am redoing the landscape in backyard and want to use st. augustine grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 03:33 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,034 times
Nurseries will have it in the Spring - in either plugs or larger squares. There are, also, grass companies in town that carry it. If you're wanting specific names of places that are better than others from which to buy it, I can't help you. If you need just a few squares, buying them someplace like Mike's Garden Center (several locations), Calloway's (several locations) or similar places is probably your best bet. If you're wanting an entire yard sodded, I'd call a grass company and have them do it. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:11 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana Shrek View Post
Where do you recommend buying st. augustine grass in the DFW area? I am redoing the landscape in backyard and want to use st. augustine grass.
Hopefully, you're waiting until the spring to do this? Try Roach Feed & Seed in downtown Garland. They are extremely helpful in helping you figure out exactly when to plant, what you need for a given area (shaded vs. lots of light), drainage, etc., and even lend you their lawn spreader for seed & fertilizer.

Besides, it's just a great experience to visit their store! It's an old-timey feed store with even some small animals (birds, rabbits, etc.)... be sure to take the kiddo's along!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
we have bought grass in large amounts and smaller from Sim's Grass in Euless--right off 157 across from Trinity High school--small company and find them to be very reputable..
so you might give them a try
BUT before you put in St. Augustine--please consider a lower==water requiring grass--St. Augustine needs a LOT of water to thrive, especially if you are planting a new yard...
it is really not a good idea since city water is becoming more of a rationed item...
have you considered any alternatives?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:12 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Ask the turf guys about the pros and cons of laying sod now vs. early next year.

Having had both St. Augustine and Bermuda I like St. Augustine better. 80% of the legend about SA and water is due to the fact that almost everyone cuts their SA way to short.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
I have St. Augustine in the front yard and Bermuda in the back yard. I will be very honest that I much prefer the Bermuda. It does take a lot less water to keep it looking nice, and if it gets too dry, a quick watering will perk it it right up. In a drought like this, the StA has to be consistently watered; if it goes yellow then brown, it is dead and you have to re-sod to get it to come back. Also, the bermuda is a lot softer on the feet and I think it looks better, too.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Also, the bermuda is a lot softer on the feet and I think it looks better, too.
People keep saying this, but to me it's the opposite. We had St Augustine in our old house, and it always felt pretty good to walk on (except under our huge live oak, because we always had pokey seedling popping out of the ground). It seems to make a thicker 'carpet', whereas the Bermuda we have in our current home seems thin. Feels like I am walking on the hard ground most of the time. Maybe I need to treat the grass with fertilizer more often, or change our mowing habits...I don't know. I just know when I walk barefoot in my parent's backyard of StA, I am like Ahhh!...In my backyard (with Bermuda), it's more like Ouch!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 AM

501 posts, read 1,462,926 times
The original post is 3.5 years old, hopefully they have already completed this project.

I completely agree with you PlanoGirl, I much prefer the "feeling" of St Aug plus I think it looks better than bermuda.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,362 times
I don't particularly care for either, but I would rather my neighbors NOT have bermuda grass, so I am not forever removing it from my lawn, flower beds, etc. It is a WEED I tell you a WEED

Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,780 times
Quote:
It is a WEED I tell you a WEED
HA. I agree with you!!
That's why it does well, it goes dormot if its too hot no water and same with the cold...but it will always comeback. (just like a weed)

I find StA to be more maintence geared and right now with heat etc... the cinch (?) bugs are having a hay day.

I miss REAL grass...Kentucky blue grass!! Ah lush soft and green. (but it wont thrive here!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas