Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM

12 posts, read 24,779 times

Advertisements

I want to move to either Irving or Plano. Plano is quite costly so I dropped an idea. I want to move to Irving. I am planning to take 2BHK apartment (around 1000 sq feet). I have heard that you would get charge for water, sewer, trash ( I been to all over USA but never heard these charges. At least not in New Jersey, Denver, West Des Moines (IA), Kansas, Chicago, Sacramento). Also electricity bills / gas bills are very high as compared to other states. I have paid maximum of $150 ( electricity + gas bill) in other cities. I would like to know what are the realistic numbers.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
I own a 1100 square foot condo in Dallas. Monthly utility bills including water average $150-$185. My building is very old and most of the apartments in North Irving are not old so your utility bills should not be any higher than mine. Many apartment complexes don't charge for trash or water.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,288 times
I don't know why you say Plano is expensive than Irving because all of Plano is mostly desirable whereas not all of Irving is... So if you are doing online research you will have apartments in Irving very cheap but there is a reason! There is no gas at apartments, it is all electric and very expensive in winters. I personally think apartment rents are approaching a point where it may be worthwhile to rent a townhome instead. Avg. electric at apartments could be $150-$200/ month when averaging for the entire year. Water/trash/sewer should not exceed $40-$60/ month...

Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM

559 posts, read 936,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I don't know why you say Plano is expensive than Irving because all of Plano is mostly desirable whereas not all of Irving is... So if you are doing online research you will have apartments in Irving very cheap but there is a reason! There is no gas at apartments, it is all electric and very expensive in winters. I personally think apartment rents are approaching a point where it may be worthwhile to rent a townhome instead. Avg. electric at apartments could be $150-$200/ month when averaging for the entire year. Water/trash/sewer should not exceed $40-$60/ month...
some apartment communities use gas for hot water (and possibly cooktop), so they charge for gas. I know my previous apartment community had that in their fees.

OP, state to state things vary. I am surprised that you have never seen this before.... places where water + sewer + trash is not charged separately are already combining their flat fee somewhere in their monthly rent. So technically you did not get those things for free.

I would say it's better to pay utility separate so you know your usage and have a better control over it. When you check apartment communities, ask them to if they are averaging water+sewer bills by sq ft and occupants count or is it based on meter reading? I have seen both cases, so just make sure.

Keep in mind that In Texas, AC/heater runs on electric in all apartments so your electricity bill varies substantially based on how old and how big is your apartment.

I lived earlier in Irving for few years and only recommend north side of Irving.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Generally, the "all bills paid" apartments are the low-end ones that attract the low-end tenants, and therefore have the worst crime and other issues. I would avoid them if at all possible.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:06 PM

20 posts, read 38,111 times
Hi,

The apartment rent in Irving varies from $750-$1300. Utilities like water, sewage based on your usage goes to $50-$60, my apartment charges $25 for vallet thrash, Light bill around $150. Other utilities like Interner additional $50. All prices are per month.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:48 PM

97 posts, read 170,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Generally, the "all bills paid" apartments are the low-end ones that attract the low-end tenants, and therefore have the worst crime and other issues. I would avoid them if at all possible.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas