Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times

Advertisements

Don't get rid of your winter and snow clothes, you will be happy to have them around for the few days you will need it . For the rest , if you have high ceiling in your garage , most people do buy special shelves that hang from the ceiling or use their attic. Many houses do have walk in attic .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM

15 posts, read 29,597 times
I'm going through the same thing, moving day is the first of August. We've given 3 truckloads to the Salvation Army and sent 4 truckloads to the dump. More to come. I love, love, love getting rid of stuff! Too much stuff just strangles me. I learned years ago to never store anything that is easily replaced. Clothing, towels, sheets, old dishes and kitchen stuff, decorations, some electronics, bedding, old furniture, old tools, outdoor yard stuff, some small appliances; out. Think about how old and ratty some of it gets. Keep the minimum and toss the rest! I found the cost of replacing was far less than 6-8-12 months of storage fees, or the headache of wondering where you put it. We're downsizing from 3200 to 2100 square feet, so brutal and quick decision making is key. Usually when I come across something I'm wavering on, I ask myself if it's worth the box or the space on the truck, and if I'm likely to need it in 6 months. Usually the answer is always no. Chuck. (we're also moving ourselves; every item packed costs $) I will miss my basement and is it just me or are the garages so much smaller these days?!? (..I know our cars are bigger....) I remember really roomy garages growing up; room for cars and workbenches and storage. Every single house we looked at barely had any room between the back bumper and the garage door! (houses built between mid-90's to 2014)

Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I kept my full-length down coat when I moved here from Salt Lake City. I wear it maybe 10-12 times each winter. It was worth keeping it. No snow blower needed but I could have used IceMelt last Dec. I had ice for close to a week.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 AM

81 posts, read 111,140 times
The great "week of ice" during the Super Bowl in 2011? was cause for pretty much everybody to keep their cold weather gear.

Other than that, you might need your really cold clothes maybe 5-7 times a year.

I believe that was the time I saw a man skiing down the street. Interesting, that your attic storage depends upon the house you buy. Most houses have full storage capability, but then there are homes like mine. I have a home built by Fox and Jacobs, a low-level builder. The attic ceiling is very low down towards the floor, and you can't fit much of anything in there.

We don't even have attic stairs. We have a panel we can move to get to the attic, and if we want to stick our heads in there for some reason, we stand on a chair.

I wonder if that is why we have a reasonably low electric bill? Large 4 bedroom 2.5 bath home, this current bill is nice and low at $229, and this next month will finally bring a bill of over $250. This might be another year with not one electric bill over $300!!!!

NO gas, 100% electric.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecat1 View Post
I wonder if that is why we have a reasonably low electric bill?
Probably not but you are definitely doing something right so keep it up!

For the OP, you will probably notice a lot more offsite storage units down here than what you are accustomed to seeing. We have basements but they are all above ground and we drive to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: