Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 02:18 PM

392 posts, read 754,755 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We'll be travelling from Houston with my husband mid September for a conference in downtown Dallas. My kids are 4.5 and 2.5. we are looking for some fun activities for the kids to do after the conference on our way back to Houston.

Is there anything like a safari zoo where we can drive and see the animals or a water park that would be nice for this age? Anything in Dallas or on our way back to Houston.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Family/Kid Activities around Downtown Dallas
Dallas World Aquarium in Downtown Dallas: http://www.dwazoo.com/
Perot Museum in Downtown Dallas: http://www.perotmuseum.org/
Klyde Warren Park in Downtown Dallas: http://www.klydewarrenpark.org/
Dallas Arboretum: http://www.dallasarboretum.org/

Old 08-06-2014, 02:45 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
There are several water parks in the area including Hurricane Harbor (across from Six Flags) in Arlington, NRH20 in N. Richland Hills, and Hawaiian Falls (several locations). Some of their water features may be more suitable for smaller children.

DFW water parks: Embracing the splash | Star-Telegram.com

Fossil Rim is a fun animal park south of Fort Worth where you drive through and friendly exotic animals can come up to the car.

Fossil Rim Wildlife Center

Your children are a bit young but the Perot Science Museum, the Dallas World Aquarium, and Klyde Warren Park (all near each other) near downtown, always have a ton of kids. From Klyde Warren Park, you can take the free trolley into Uptown which kids seem to enjoy. There's really not much in Uptown for young children but the trolley makes a loop and can bring you back to the area near Klyde Warren.

Trolley, McKinney Avenue Transit Authority, M-Line, Dallas, TX Home

Old 08-06-2014, 02:50 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
you drive right by the Dallas zoo on your way back to Houston.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:53 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Sadly, Fossil Rim is southwest of Fort Worth, so it would be a long drive from Dallas, and it isn't on the way to Houston. It is a really nice drive through safari, and IMHO, it would be worth an extra day on the trip to go do it. The only other similar ace I know in Texas is Natural Bridge Caverns near San Antonio.

Both the Dallas and Fort Worth Zoos are excellent. The DART rail red line goes right to the zoo from downtown Dallas, and as long as it's not too hot, that would be a great day trip for the kids.
www.dallaszoo.com | Welcome to the Largest Zoological Experience in Texas!
DART.org - DART Schedules

Old 08-06-2014, 02:55 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Trinity River Audobon - Trinity River Audubon Center | Audubon
Lego Land - no animals here but a great place for kids your age.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 15,928 times
Fort Worth Zoo is better IMHO than Dallas Zoo. However, it might be too hot for the kids. Another option is to take them to either the Dallas World Aquarium or the Perot Science Museum. Personally, your kids are likely to LOVE the DWA and it is right downtown Dallas so you won't need to cover distances..

Old 08-06-2014, 03:39 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
I was at Grapevine Mills over the weekend and the lines into Legoland were horrendously long. It would have to be totally magical for me to suffer through standing in such a long line with little kids.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:44 AM

24 posts, read 56,839 times
Hi! I hope you and your family enjoy your trip to Dallas! I have a 4 year old and here are some things he loves near downtown.

If the weather is nice make sure to check out the Children's Garden at the Arboretum (it's a different entrance than the main gardens). Your kids will love it! Dallas Arboretum | The Rory Meyers Children's Adventure Garden

Perot Museum and the Aquarium are also fun. Klyde Warren park usually has live music on Thursday evenings (check their web site) and they have a small children's park and splash fountains. The Dallas Zoo is also nice. I wouldn't really recommend Legoland. I went once for a party and thought it was small, crowded, and overpriced. My 4 year old also wasn't tall enough to get on everything and it's not close to downtown.

Check the schedules as some of these places may only be open during the day - not sure if you going with the kids while your husband is in the conference would be an option. Maybe at least aquarium or Perot since those are downtown. Klyde Warren will also be open late to relax and let the kids play.

Unfortunately, they've recently raised the prices but going up to the observation deck of the reunion tower might be fun. GeO-Deck

Have fun!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Oh I forgot, we went to Sandy Lake the other weekend and had a great time. Plenty of rides for my 2 year old to ride and it was fairly cheap and not crowded. The park is cash only however, so just keep that in mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas