Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 AM

43 posts, read 99,327 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me how we would go about getting a new mast on our roof, have the wires raised a bit and possibly get a new box for the meter? We are remodeling a recently purchased older home and the mast is pretty funky along with the wires going into the Oncor box (too dark to see in photo). We saw a recently renovated home in the area recently and it had a shiny new mast, new meter box & wires were higher. Is this something we call Oncor about or contact a electrician & if the later, anyone know anyone who specializes in this. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mast For Power To A Home-20140627_165450.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 AM

769 posts, read 782,256 times
You hire an electrician to install a new meter base (and pull permits). Then you or the electrician call Oncor and they'll hook the meter base up to the grid after the meter base installation passes city inspection.

When I had this done, I requested that Oncor change the service line to underground. They excavated a trench 100ft long, laid heavy duty conduit and pulled the service line. All at no cost to me...

Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasHouzz View Post
Can someone tell me how we would go about getting a new mast on our roof, have the wires raised a bit and possibly get a new box for the meter? We are remodeling a recently purchased older home and the mast is pretty funky along with the wires going into the Oncor box (too dark to see in photo). We saw a recently renovated home in the area recently and it had a shiny new mast, new meter box & wires were higher. Is this something we call Oncor about or contact a electrician & if the later, anyone know anyone who specializes in this. Thanks.
Call Oncor and they'll have one of their people call you during the week for a run down. It's likely to be a job that entails Oncor workers and an electrician that you'll need to hire. Alternatively, you could call any of the larger residential electrical contractors and they'll know too.

It's expensive $3-4K but if you have any notion of burying the wire from the alley to your home now'd be the time to do it.

If you decide to replace the mast: I've heard that costs about $1,500.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
You hire an electrician to install a new meter base (and pull permits). Then you or the electrician call Oncor and they'll hook the meter base up to the grid after the meter base installation passes city inspection.

When I had this done, I requested that Oncor change the service line to underground. They excavated a trench 100ft long, laid heavy duty conduit and pulled the service line. All at no cost to me...
Was this a good while ago?

Old 08-17-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Wow that would be great if we could Oncor to do that. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Call Oncor and they'll have one of their people call you during the week for a run down. It's likely to be a job that entails Oncor workers and an electrician that you'll need to hire. Alternatively, you could call any of the larger residential electrical contractors and they'll know too.

It's expensive $3-4K but if you have any notion of burying the wire from the alley to your home now'd be the time to do it.

If you decide to replace the mast: I've heard that costs about $1,500.
Is the $3-4K to bury the wire or just to do the cosmetic work besides the $1500 for a new mast? Thanks.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 AM

And if the wire can be buried underground then I assume we would no longer need a mast?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:47 PM

769 posts, read 782,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Was this a good while ago?
No it was last year (in Lake Highlands). I was surprised that they did that for free.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
No it was last year (in Lake Highlands). I was surprised that they did that for free.

They don't do it for free in Dallas at least not under normal circumstances. Cool that it worked out for you.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasHouzz View Post
And if the wire can be buried underground then I assume we would no longer need a mast?
Correct if you bury the power cable and any phone, internet or cable TV wires too the mast becomes unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: