Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,682 times

Advertisements

I am looking at relocating and McKinney has been brought to my attention. My uncle lives there and loves it. So what is the good, bad and ugly about the area? Tell me about the tornados. Is that something we should worry about? So far it looks fantastic.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:40 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
McKinney is a great city to live in. It pretty has everything a person could want. The only negative thing about living there is the commute into Dallas. If you have a 8-5 job in Dallas the commute is a killer IMHO.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM

430 posts, read 1,358,797 times
McKinney is definately growing. A new Westin hotel is going in off 121 by the Medical Center. Lots of different neighborhoods. Good place to live!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 AM

468 posts, read 1,886,500 times
First of all, the Tornadoes was a professional soccer team located in Dallas.

I heard the other night that McKinney is the 4th fastest growing city in the U.S.A. The West side of McKinney, aka Stone Bridge Ranch, is all very new. My son's family lives in Craig Ranch and I get to hear all the stuff, especially the new Super Target that recently opened at Custer and US-121. If you're a young and growing family with kiddos into sports, there are boo-coos of youth sports teams. My sweetie and me, being the empty nesters we are, like to go to downtown McKinney and play. Lots of antique shoppes and neat little hole-in-the-wall places to eat. The Sweet Tomato recently reopened as Poppy's Garden Cafe. A fun place to spend a not so warm evening since you'll be dining out on the patio. Live music too.

Again about those pesky tornadoes. You have a one chance in gazillions to be a victim of a tornado. I think folks living in California have a larger chance of being in a fire than a McKinny-ite being touched by a tornado. But it's good to educated about the subject.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,468 times
McKinney is definitely a good place to live. Like what was said earlier, McKinney has everything you could possibly want, except a mall, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get one soon. I know they are building a new outdoor mall(which are all the rage these days, Firewheel Town Center in Garlnd opened up not to long ago and it was an open-air mall, and it has been VERY successful) in Fairview called "The Village at Fairview". It will have a Dillard's, Macy's, Barnes & Noble, and other stores. It is at the corner of Stacy Road and 75, so it's not very far from McKinney at all. Also, there is a new mall going up(construction hasn't started yet) at the corner of the Dallas North Tollway and 380. There was a lot of land out there and big developers bought it all up. I also know that Jerry Jones owns some land out there. Right now, the closest mall is in Frisco, and it is called StoneBriar Center. But, McKinney has a lot of stores that you would find in a mall anyways. I know a lot of people on the City Council and Economic Development Board, and they are doing a terrific job of keeping up with the growth and planning well. As far as housing, you will have MANY options. They have a ton of new housing developments. StoneBridge Ranch is probably my favorite of them all, but I also like Craig Ranch. They are building houses left and right out there. McKinney is a VERY family-oriented place and the schools are wonderful. Also like what was said earlier, it will be a tough commute into Downtown Dallas, especially on 75 as it gets hit real hard with traffic, but it is do-able as a lot of people do work in Dallas and live in McKinney.

If you have any more questions at all, feel free to ask me and I will gladly answer them!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:12 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
McKinney is also the county seat for Collin County, so there is a courthouse there.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
McKinney is also the county seat for Collin County, so there is a courthouse there.
Ya, and it is a very nice one! I always forget to mention in my posts that McKinney is the county seat for Collin County. lol!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 PM

133 posts, read 514,188 times
McKinney is a very nice place to raise a family. If you're young and single, I would skip it.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
If you like brand new, you will find it in McKinney, if you like very old "historic" you will also find it in McKinney. It is indeed a great place to raise a family. Schools are decent too. As mentioned by others, the commute would be really bad to Dallas.

Naima

Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,682 times
It sounds fantastic. We are moving over from the UK. I am American and my huband is British. We have a 2 1/2yr old son. So good schools are really important. Family oriented sounds great. I like the historic, and my husband wants new, new, new. We both hope to not have to work in Dallas but like the idea of all the things to do in Dallas. I have been to Dallas twice and think its a fantastic city.

I would bet that there is a British expat community in the Dallas area. Which my husband will need. ( I know I have needed to be in contact with other Ameicans living in the UK)

Is there any other areas we should be looking at for the small town feel but with everything you need?

Thanks everyone, keep the info coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas