Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 AM

193 posts, read 437,892 times

Advertisements

I have a client who is currently building in Stone Hollow and closing tentatively in April 2015. I think the neighborhood has fallen through the cracks. I think it's a nice area with appreciation potential, but you should drive by and check it out for yourself. Most of the families in the subdivision are younger who have upgraded from their starter homes. The roads are narrrow and homes are built close together (which is the norm now a days with most new construction in this price range).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 12:24 PM

446 posts, read 846,497 times
So, we ended up pulling the trigger on a contract here last week. We couldn't justify paying $100K more for the same model at PCR + higher HOAs. We spent months wrangling over the decision given the negatives, but in the end, the $/ft is low, the FISD is a plus, and the lower tax rate vs. Allen is a benefit.

I think the negatives are somewhat factored into the pricing at SH. The water tower, power lines, etc. all affect values and the builder knows that. As for the low income apartments, at least they're not in your backyard like some homes in Craig Ranch that would have to deal with it. Certainly, it's not a good thing, but it's probably only a matter of time before other cities like Frisco have to cave in and allow for Sec 8 housing. So, while SH might not appreciate as fast as other communities, it is probably unlikely you'll see material depreciation just from those micro-factors.

We are extremely picky w floor plans and, after visiting 30 communities, nothing except Darling in Lawler Park and Drees in Propser stood out. Prosper we ruled out b/c it's just too far and rural. Darling would have required us to spend at least $10K to customize the plan itself to our liking. That, plus higher base pricing, led us to SH again. All this to say, there are other communities you may want to consider (Emerson Estates by StanPac, Lawler Park Darling, etc.) if those floor plans work for you. If you're set on a specific plan and $ budget, and if SH meets that criteria, go with what feels right to your gut.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 23,304 times
Default Stone Hollow

We finally ended up at Arbors at willow bay.
It is a bit farther than Stone Hollow in terms of commute, but it is almost built out and is nicer than Stone Hollow.
I just did not have the guts to buy in an area with too many negative unknowns.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:21 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
I live on East Side of Central and Lovers Lane and I can tell you that removal of low income apartments has made a big difference in our quality of life. That and cameras for our neighborhood and paying for extra police visibility.

I know that some get offended but facts are facts.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:10 PM

19 posts, read 41,819 times
Millennium1 Low income apartment complex is 1.8 miles from Stone Hallow. How far community should be there to avoid effects ( like price appreciation ) of Low income apartments.

Only Stone Hallow&Barcelona ( new communities) buyers has worry about it or will it effect Stone Bridge Ranch in McKinney too which is other side of Eldorado

Old 03-18-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
The water tower, power lines, etc. .
Water tower is in McKinney state park, it is near to some of corner 75" lots but looks far from remaining community. I did not see any power lines within visible distance from community, are you mentioning cell Tower?, I think cell tower is also other side of Silvarado road.

No doubt Philip creek is a great community but if we compare stone hollow has advantages of

a) Right next to Big McKinney state park with several soft ball, base ball grounds
b) New/would be Recreation & aquatic center in McKinney state park
c) Near to Allen Mall, Easy access to I-121, near to I-75
d) Same travel time to Airport with compared to Philip creek
e) Near to McKinney Market place and restaurants

I think 10/10 school ratings are driving prices crazy in some communities like PCR

Old 03-18-2015, 04:55 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
drove thru there and the side near the school seems nice and quiet (didn't even know how big the community was)..but honestly could not get past the super narrow streets, the crap shack and power lines that's next to scoggins (alma/relater)...and that water tower...man oh man. There is not a good way in without an eyesore staring at you in the face. But yes, I think its just one of those that just communities that doesn't get much play, maybe if they advertised it more...maybe people think because its I McKinney that its McKinney schools--and I think that side of McKinney is fine? Its also overshadowed by craig ranch and I guess the developments on independence maybe?

Old 03-18-2015, 05:44 PM

446 posts, read 846,497 times
Yes, the water tower is in the state park, but you can see it from most places in the development. We were only interested in the 75' lots, so its presence really limited our lot options. The cell tower is visible as well.

The narrow streets bothered us as well. We did end up choosing a corner (90x120) lot here that led to the least compromises. It doesn't have a water tower in the back view and the road in front of it is pretty wide as it's near the pool. No home's perfect so we just settled on the one w the least compromises (lot, budget, builder, ISD).

No idea why the development hasn't gotten more traction (outside of the towers), but it was a compelling choice for us.

Oh..what's the "crap shack"?

Old 03-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Just to clarify, I am not advertising any community here. I thought it is value for money with compared to Frisco Zip code communities.

It is all about Budget, ISD, Builder quality as Nissan mentioned. I don't think $100K high price for same sq ft house in any other Frisco ZIP code community is justifiable

Seems roads are designed by keeping Craig Ranch roads as reference - See attachments from McKinney city (googled)

Most of the roads are 27 ft width from curb to curb though total width 46 ft including walk way except Main road leading to Comstock onsite elementary school
Attached Files
File Type: zip Letter of Intent.zip (254.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: zip 081712Site Plan_Ph2.zip (297.0 KB, 36 views)

Old 10-05-2015, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,604 times
Is there any update on this area since the last post? Looking for any negative/positive things about this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: