Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 01:52 PM

17 posts, read 43,553 times

Advertisements

I might be relocating to Dallas from Southern California for a job opportunity in the near future and wanted to get some info about the area. I am a 23 year old female and would be working in Fort Worth.

-Is the commute from Dallas to Fort Worth a pain in terms of traffic and time?

-Would downtown or west village be better to live in terms of nightlife / younger crowd? Or another area?

-What are the best apartment complexes to live in? I would like to live somewhere that is within walking distance/ fairly close to shops/ dining/ grocery stores? I would like to stay under/around $1400 for a one bedroom.

-Is Dallas more of a fast paced city or a slower paced city?

Any other helpful information on the area would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:02 PM

385 posts, read 489,141 times
I wouldn't recommend living in Dallas and commuting to Ft.Worth.

Look into apartments near West 7th in Ft.Worth, that should give you decent night life. Try Firestone Apartments.

I think Dallas is a slower paced city.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:19 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
If you're working in downtown Fort Worth, the commute from North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts District (a neighborhood southwest of downtown Dallas) isn't totally horrible as it's a reverse commute along I-30. Still, it's 30 miles each way and if there's a wreck or ice, you'll add a lot to your commute time.

Living any farther north or east in Dallas would not be recommended. Commuting from West Village wouldn't be fun as that means having to go through downtown. Not fun during rush hour and it would only add to your expenses as Uptown probably is the most expensive (for apartments) neighborhood in the region.

As far as areas in Fort Worth, the West 7th corridor, Near Southside/Magnolia Avenue, or downtown itself are where you want to be.

As for Dallas being slower or faster paced, the question is compared to where. It's faster than Fort Worth but is pure molasses compared to New York or Chicago. Coming from Southern California (as did I), it might feel similar in terms of car-oriented sprawl.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:29 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
There's plenty of good choices in FTW. The commute to Dallas would be a complete drain.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Live near the Arts District in Fort Worth (West 7th). It's fun and full of young professionals. The vast majority of people who work in Fort Worth live there, not Dallas. It will be important for you to make new friends and start to feel at home in Texas and it will be really hard to do that if you miss all of the happy hours and events because you're stuck in traffic. I even know several people who got jobs in FW and ended up moving there from Dallas due to the commute. It jus beats you down.

Move to Fort Worth.
Join the Junior League if you want to meet like-minded professional women who enjoy bettering their community and making lasting friendships.
Join the Junior group at the Kimbell or Modern museums. It's pricey but comes with a great social program of happy hours, events, and trips throughout the year.
Find out where your alma matter's football games are broadcast and to to that bar every Saturday in the fall to make connections from home.
If you were in a sorority, you'll find a young alumnae group to join in FW that will have monthly social events like Painting with a Twist, wine tastings, etc.
Join a church / temple/ etc - most have vibrant singles groups for 20-30's.
If you're athletic, there are tons of intramural teams to join. Know more than a few marriages that started with intramural softball and running clubs!

Old 11-17-2014, 03:38 PM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Totally agree with TC80. Living and working inFort Worth can be really fun!

Don't make that commute from Dallas. It will suck the life out of you and cost a fortune.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:42 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Live in Fort Worth. Dallas to Fort Worth is a terrible commute. Look at West 7th in Fort Worth. You'll be happier.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 PM

793 posts, read 1,223,293 times
I agree with TC80 and would also suggest checking out Steer Fort Worth, which is an amazing young professionals group, with lots of networking and professional development opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas