Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times

Advertisements

In effect, Dallas is banning plastic grocery store bags starting January 1, through the use of a financial penalty. I have some free time the next couple of weeks before the ban kicks in. One of my plans over this time is to deal with this issue. I need to buy re-usable totes or whatever it takes to avoid paying a nickel for every plastic bag.

Where does one go to get this re-usable totes? I haven't seen them for sale, but I haven't been looking real hard.

How many totes should I pick up? I am a household-of-one. I grocery shop approximately every 7-10 days.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 07:05 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Every grocery store I've been in the past several years has the totes right there at the register. Just open your eyes and you'll see them. They usually cost $1. You will probably be fine with 5 bags, but you'll need to keep them in your car if you plan to have them readily available when you're at the store.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
In effect, Dallas is banning plastic grocery store bags starting January 1, through the use of a financial penalty. I have some free time the next couple of weeks before the ban kicks in. One of my plans over this time is to deal with this issue. I need to buy re-usable totes or whatever it takes to avoid paying a nickel for every plastic bag.

Where does one go to get this re-usable totes? I haven't seen them for sale, but I haven't been looking real hard.

How many totes should I pick up? I am a household-of-one. I grocery shop approximately every 7-10 days.

Thanks for the help.
You can pick them up for a buck at the register at most grocery stores.

If you want the kind that fold or collapse into little bundles, Amazon.com sells lots of different kinds. They're more than $1 apiece tho.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:57 AM

244 posts, read 514,498 times
This is the stupidest Tax I have ever heard of 5 cents per plastic bag. hope your never a couple of reusable bags short. I reuse the plastic bags to take my lunch in and use it for other things around the house. Everyone should check their grocery bill twice and make sure they don't sneak that 5 cents in on you even when you use reusable bags...

Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
I've seen them at the checkouts at Kroger, Central Market, Aldi, and Trader Joe's. Target also has them near the checkouts. Half Price Books has large re-use bags near the checkout.

Both Central Market and Trader Joe's has some great insulated bags for the cold stuff. I keep a few of those in my car as well.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawekeye2011 View Post
This is the stupidest Tax I have ever heard of 5 cents per plastic bag. hope your never a couple of reusable bags short. I reuse the plastic bags to take my lunch in and use it for other things around the house. Everyone should check their grocery bill twice and make sure they don't sneak that 5 cents in on you even when you use reusable bags...
Everyone should check their receipt anyway. Grocery store scanners are prone to error, and the cashiers are pushed to move so quickly that sometimes they don't scan all the coupons you give them. Ideally you should watch the scanner as they are checking you out, but of course you're occupied either with the credit card keypad or monitoring the baggers to make sure they don't crush your eggs or bruise all your produce.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:20 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
stupidest Tax I have ever heard of 5 cents per plastic bag.
Look at any creek in DFW and you'll see why Carraway wanted them banned. The banks are lined with them. I've been to other cities where they also implemented the charges, it's really not that big of a deal.

BTW: you can get those reusable bags for free in pleny of places too, at your average charity walk, at the Fair, sponsored church events, etc. Biggest deal is remembering to put them back in your car after using them.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Look at any creek in DFW and you'll see why Carraway wanted them banned. The banks are lined with them. I've been to other cities where they also implemented the charges, it's really not that big of a deal.

BTW: you can get those reusable bags for free in pleny of places too, at your average charity walk, at the Fair, sponsored church events, etc. Biggest deal is remembering to put them back in your car after using them.
You do have to think about it at first but once you get in the habit it isn't difficult.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 AM

447 posts, read 322,072 times
They are just in where you check out hanging on hooks. I bought several good looking ones from whole foods. Or you can buy a longchamp tote for light grocery shopping and everyday use as well. Don't worry about this at all! Sometimes you buy skincare products and with the gift with purchase you always have a big big tote--don't throw it away, use it. Some totes come with magazines as well.

By the way anyone happens to know where I can throw used batteries?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:17 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

I was riding my bike down the White rock creek trail after a big rain storm and it looked like a land fill. There were trash bags along the banks, in the trees, everywhere. It was ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas