Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times

Advertisements

I think it's been in effect for a few months now. Olympia is considering a ban. Do you recommend a ban based on Seattle's experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
You should expand the list to include Edmonds, Bellingham and Mukilteo. Seattle was the 4th city in WA to ban plastic bags.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM

173 posts, read 225,328 times
I for one am very pleased with the new state of affairs. There has been very little that I at least have seen in the media about longterm negative responses to the ban. It may in the end have been much ado about nothing. Like other seemingly controversial issues, such as the tolls on 520, people over time adjust after some early-on bitching. Of course just as there a few who drive around the lake or take I-90 to save on tolls (and who end up spending much more time on the roads, use more gasoline and put more wear and tear on their vehicles), so too there may be some who just need those plastic bags and leave the city to shop. I am proud of Seattle for having done something important for the environment while not really impacting the way we shop. I'd support state-wide implementation in the future.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times
Here in Mukilteo the garbage collectors turn a blind eye to the brown paper bags in the garbage as opposed to the plastic ones. They like it because it doesn't clog the compactors as much.

I've created some rope from the used plastic bags the stores were going to toss. I have enough rope now to basically have as backup line when I go camping.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
I wish we could get a bag ban here. People act like it's the worst thing in the world, even though our streams look like this:

Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 AM

260 posts, read 768,840 times
I know this is an old post but I thought that I would comment since we have recently had a ban on plastic bags here on Bainbridge Island.

The good: I like the idea of reusing bags

The bad: I forget bags occasionally and now I have to pay for plastic. I used my bags always twice (once for groceries and once for doggie bags or trash liners). Now I have to buy my doggie bags for a one time use (not very green). Also, I have heard that people have died (albiet not many) from bacteria of meats that have leaked onto the bags which then contaminated vegetables at a later date. (so maybe we need to label our bags for meats and vegetables???)

Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
Pay for plastic? When I did my last vacation in Bellingham, I had repeated conversations, and my understanding was you could buy PAPER, that plastic just wasn't going to be there.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 PM

260 posts, read 768,840 times
Default plastic bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Pay for plastic? When I did my last vacation in Bellingham, I had repeated conversations, and my understanding was you could buy PAPER, that plastic just wasn't going to be there.
I have to pay for plastic doggy bags which now are a once used bag as opposed to twice used when I got them in the store for free and then used them for my doggy or trash bin linings.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 PM

192 posts, read 424,030 times
It beeen almost 2 months of no plastic here in Issaquah. I am getting used to it but still have to run back out to the car to get bags. I did just invest in some nice reusable ones and bought ten of them so I always have them on me!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
I'm sure Seattle deals with it just fine. Probably less of them drifting around. While I'm not in Seattle, we have plastic bag bans in San Francisco as well as Alameda County (where Berkeley and Oakland are). You pay like 25 cents for a bag in SF. Handsupthumbsdown your picture is a great example of why this is needed. Is it an inconvenience at times? Sure but there's more going on in this world besides my convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area