Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:10 AM

14 posts, read 48,021 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are a South Asian(Southern part of India) family of husband,wife and 2 boys of ages 11 (12 in April) & 4 (5 in July). We are contemplating a move to Dallas from Boston, MA
We are looking for a safe neighborhood and good schools, preferably closer to Indian community.Initially we are planning to rent an apartment/ single family home preferably with 2 or more bedrooms within a budget of $1600 - $1900 and then buy in a year or so.

Could you please let me know which area/district would be a safe place to relocate to?? Which schools are the best for a middle school-er(7th grade) with some special needs and for an enthusiastic future kindergartner? What is the admission process in Dallas?

Are the Indian groceries easily available and are there any Hindu temples nearby?

Could you please let me know what are the areas that are safer in Dallas overall ?

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Unless you want to spend 2+ hrs and $10+ per day in traffic and tolls, tell us where the jobs are located (roughly). From what I've heard, many school districts do not provide the level of special needs services the NE area does.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:42 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundasigubloo View Post
Are the Indian groceries easily available and are there any Hindu temples nearby?
!
The Indian community in Dallas is almost twice the size it is in Boston, so yes. In Plano and Irving, there are tons of Indian markets and Temples. Both Plano and Irving have Indian populations pushing 25,000-30,000. Many other suburbs like Coppell, Carrollton, Frisco, Allen, Castle Hills (Lewisville), Richardson, and Murphy have massive Indian communities as well. Finding Indian markets and Temples should be the least of your concern when moving to Dallas.

But you need to find out where your job is going to be first. That should be your number one concern.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:49 AM

My hubby would work from home and will travel twice or thrice inside or out of Dallas to other states. My 11 year old finds socializing difficult and hence in a smaller classroom where he almost does all the work his regular classmates do. He has no LD, but has Asperger's. I hear lot about magnet schools and unsure of what they are and how admission process would be?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,678 times
I would live in Plano, but look at the Shelton school for your son. A large Indian community in Plano.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:31 AM

559 posts, read 935,734 times
will you be a teleworker (like many Indians I know do WFH 5-days a week) or will have to drive to office? If so, where your and spouse's office will be located? Commute in Dallas could become a big issue based on where your home and office is located.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:20 PM

64 posts, read 86,550 times
I second what peterlemonjello and HockDad said.

I would rate Plano and then Frisco (in that order) as the destination most new Desis choose when they arrive in the Metroplex. Frisco more so for new homeowners.

Also - This particular question has been asked and answered in this forum several times.
Did you search this forum for either 'Indian' or 'Desi' ?

If you need to know something more specific maybe u could ask and we could try and help.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:16 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Come on over. We got plenty of curry down here!!!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:56 AM

My husband is in a traveling job and he doesn't need to travel to office on a daily basis. Our first and foremost priority is a school that will accommodate my elder son's special needs. Rest (Indian community ) all come second.
Also since my husband travels a lot, I prefer a safest(comparatively) neighborhood .

Are magnet schools only for high performers/achievers and not for kids with very minimal special needs?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Our elder is in autistic spectrum but is moderate or mild (or high functioning). He is good at numbers. He does require some additional support in ELA and for emotional/social needs. We would like to have him attend a mainstream classroom with support in areas needed (he does better with typically developed children). Are there school districts in Dallas that will integrate him and not just put him into an Autism or Special Needs classrooms?

He is supported best in his current school but cost of living here is getting unaffordable for us. Hence looking at Dallas as my husband's business is mostly based in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: