Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:39 AM

5 posts, read 4,866 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I am a french guy and my company offers me the possibility to move to Dallas for 3 years.
I'd like my 3 children (10, 8 and 5 years old) to go to Dallas International School (DIS) to have
a french/english education. This is the only convenient solution I have found for their education,
but you have maybe another one ? They absolutelly do not speak english for the moment.

I will have to work in Grand Prairie.

With DIS located North and Grand Prairie located West, what is the best place to stay ?
Looking at other threads, it seems that Richardson might be an option with no commute for DIS and
correct commute to West. Is-this true ? Any other option ?

Many thanks for your inputs.

Nicopipo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 AM

793 posts, read 1,222,362 times
Ruchardson to Grand Praire would be a tough commute. DIS has separate campuses for lower school and upper school. Your children would be at both schools. Im sorry I dont know of any other options. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:03 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Welcome! My daughter attends DIS. We have been very pleased with the education and there are many French families in very similar situations to yours.

One issue may be that your children will be split between the two campuses. The younger ones will be on the Churchill campus and the older one will be at the Waterview campus. They are both in the same general area of the metroplex (about 15 minutes from the other) Unfortunately, neither is located near Grand Prairie, as I am sure you have already discovered. Check out Canyon Creek in Richardson. It is very close to the Waterview campus and is supposed to have a great community feel.

I am not sure if your wife drives but I would suggest living near the schools and then commuting to work. It won't be an easy commute to GP, but you will be close to school, activities, birthday parties, etc. I would also suggest reaching out to the Dallas Accueil. DIS also have a very active Mom's Club and Dad's Club so there will be plenty of ways to meet other families. My daughter (8th grade) is completely fluent in French and many of her friends are now completely fluent in English.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:14 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
You will have a very hard commute between Richardson and Grand Prairie but it may be the best choice. Another possibility is Highland Park as a better commute for both school and work..... and because it is a very nice community. However that will mean everyone is commuting.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:38 AM

Many thanks for your first inputs !
When you mention "tough" or "hard" commute, any idea
of the time required ?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:09 AM

793 posts, read 1,222,362 times
Probably about an hour. Maybe a little less in the morning, a little longer in the afternoon.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:20 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Canyon Creek is a great neighborhood but it is towards the far northeast corner of the DFW area. For your sanity, I would live near DIS's lower school campus (75230). Nice upscale neighborhood with lots of private school families, lots of shopping & restaurants, a great YMCA (rec center) is close by, library branch, etc. Living there will put you right by the Dallas North Tollroad and probably cut 20 minutes off the commute compared to Canyon Creek. Your wife will still need to drive kids to the Upper School campus, but due to the traffic flow, she'll be able to drive north much faster/ easier than you could drive going southbound towards your office.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
Probably about an hour. Maybe a little less in the morning, a little longer in the afternoon.
This, plus it would almost entirely be on tollroads. Probably $5 per day in tolls from Canyon Creek vs about $1.50-2 per day from the area I recommended near DIS Lower School.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Canyon Creek is a great neighborhood but it is towards the far northeast corner of the DFW area. For your sanity, I would live near DIS's lower school campus (75230). Nice upscale neighborhood with lots of private school families, lots of shopping & restaurants, a great YMCA (rec center) is close by, library branch, etc. Living there will put you right by the Dallas North Tollroad and probably cut 20 minutes off the commute compared to Canyon Creek. Your wife will still need to drive kids to the Upper School campus, but due to the traffic flow, she'll be able to drive north much faster/ easier than you could drive going southbound towards your office.
I hadn't thought of this, but great advice. With a 5yr old, you will be at both campuses for the duration of your 3yr stay.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:55 AM

Thank you for everything.

I do have another option, that is having the kids in the US education with support from France for the "french" part ...
I did see that it exists ESL (English as a Second Language) Program that helps children the first months.
In this case, we might stay in the area of Grand Prairie, Arlington, ...
Do you have any recommendation: where to stay / which schools ?

Thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas