Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,213 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband has been promoted and his company is moving our family from Tampa Fl, to the DFW area within the next few months and we have no clue where to look for a house. His company will be paying our rent for the first three months while we acclimate ourselves and find a house to buy. My husbands job as a regional manager for NAPA requires him to fly/drive all over Texas as well as the surrounding states, and he had a company car and he does not pay for gas, so work travel time is not much of a concern. All they ask is that we live within the general DFW area. I am a stay at home mom/ nanny, so I can generally find work in any area we move to.

What we are looking for is a family friendly area, with newer single family houses under $200k, good elementary schools (we have an almost 3 year old), safe, and not completely rural. Diversity is not much of an issue for us, however we are Caucasian and I would prefer our son not be in the minority when he starts school. Please don't jump all over me for saying that. I am not looking for judgement, I'm looking for help. I've never been to texas before, and the move is scary and intimidating to me, as the DFW area is so massive. Thanks in advance.

A few affordable areas I've been told to look at are Forney, Denton, and Roanoake, so any info on those would be helpful as well.

Also, if there are particular zip codes within the actual Dallas, Arlington, or Ft Worth city limits that fit what my family is looking for, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 12:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
I think you're probably looking in the best areas. His drive to the airport will not be fun, but if he is only doing it once a month, it shouldn't be a huge factor. Finding a new 200K home in the Dallas area with good schools is getting increasingly difficult. You could also look north as well to the areas around Little Elm. May find strong schools up there, but the houses will more than likely be smaller for your price range as opposed to east of Dallas.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:53 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,345 times
I think Forney would be a great place to look. It's a very active and friendly community. Most of the folks are commuting to downtown or east Dallas/Mesquite/635. The drive to the airport (DFW) will be 45 minutes without traffic. There are some nice neighborhoods (with walking trails and pools). They have a nice amphitheater/community park. Most shopping can be found in Rockwall if the stores in Forney don't cut it - about 20 minutes. Also, there's a nice Costco in Rockwall.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:58 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Roanoke would be right at the top of my list for schools and proximity to the airport.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:42 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,943 times
We moved to DFW and bought in Forney last summer. We are very happy with our decision to buy here rather than the north and north east suburbs. A lot more house for your money for sure and a very nice community. I see Forney as a little diamond in the rough that only those looking for a great bang for your buck notice.

Commuting to down town Dallas (I did this for 1 year) is not bad but I must admit my current commute for a new and better job is a bit brutal. I drive from Forney to NW Carrollton Mon - Fri now. Ugh. I wouldn't do this for just any job though.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:17 PM

Thank you so much for the help! You guys have really reassured me about the areas I've been recommended to, especially forney and Roanoake. They sound a lot like where we live now in a gated neighborhood in a safe Tampa suburb. We are SOOO lucky that neither of us will have to do a daily commute to Dallas; I really feel like that'll help open our options of where to live. Is Roanoake more of a suburb or is it kind of like a section of the actual "city"? Also, is Denton area mostly older one story homes or is there new development happening? Being originally from Pennsylvania, we reeeeaaally would like to go back to owning a two story house as opposed to a ranch style.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:27 PM

98 posts, read 121,217 times
Of the ones you mentioned, I'd suggest Forney.

I would stay out of Denton if I were you. It is a college town and yes, it is 'older'.

IMO, Forney is your best bet.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:29 PM

Thanks for recommending little elm! I'm finding some great options there!!

Old 02-07-2015, 02:36 PM

98 posts, read 121,217 times
Hi,
I just sent you a Direct Message.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:16 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinW522 View Post
Thanks for recommending little elm! I'm finding some great options there!!
Little Elm is definitely a very good option for you , at least for now. With all the business booming around ,I doubt prices won't stay low in that area very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas