Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM

103 posts, read 117,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhb212 View Post
I have bad spring allergies in northern Va and I have heard DFW is equally bad or worse than nova. Anyone from here who relocated to DFW would like to comment?
I came from the DMV in 2013 and went to Houston. BAD IDEA, someone on this site tried to warn me that my love affair with Houston would die soon and they were so right, LOL!!

Back to the subject, I'm relocating to the DFW area in May and have visited the area few times. So far, my allergies while worse than they were in the DMV, are certainly FAR more manageable in DFW than in Houston because the air is MUCH cleaner.

I guess it depends on what you're allergic too as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:54 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartPinkRose View Post
I came from the DMV in 2013 and went to Houston. BAD IDEA, someone on this site tried to warn me that my love affair with Houston would die soon and they were so right, LOL!!

Back to the subject, I'm relocating to the DFW area in May and have visited the area few times. So far, my allergies while worse than they were in the DMV, are certainly FAR more manageable in DFW than in Houston because the air is MUCH cleaner.

I guess it depends on what you're allergic too as well.
Curious, what did you like so much about Houston initially and why did you end up disliking so much about it (or was it just the allergies?).

I'm the one Dallas person who likes visiting Houston (don't know about living though).

Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Curious, what did you like so much about Houston initially and why did you end up disliking so much about it (or was it just the allergies?).

I'm the one Dallas person who likes visiting Houston (don't know about living though).
We love Houston too- but I wouldn't live anywhere but inside the loop or the Woodlands

Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
I lived in Houston for around 30 years and liked living and working there. I was in energy corridor. None of close to DT areas there or in DFW when I moved here interest me. I'm retired and don't face a comm ute to,work in rush hour. I strongly prefer plano to any location in Houston. Houston is a good city just too humid year around for my warm blooded body.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 AM

100 posts, read 187,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emz916 View Post
I enjoyed reading this how is allergy season I'm thinking of relocating from Sacramento California it's known name is city of trees everyone from texas says it's the worst out they're but since ur not from there maybe u have a different opinion my son suffers from allergies really bad face swells up and he's only 7
I can tell you my allergies here are horrible, but a simple claritin a day fixes them completely. One of the benefits of living up north seem to be I never suffered from allergies. This spring was hard at first soon as they flared up, sneezer and nose running all the time. But soon as I jumped on a 24 hour allergy med all of that went away.

Update on things:

We just moved into our home (Eldorado Estates, between Little Elm and Frisco) Absolutely loving everything still (though moving is a chore and we have months of work to do to get the house in order). My commute honestly has been super easy. Even with 423 torn to hell and back I still haven't been stuck in traffic to many times. I've actually started to find my alone time in my car peaceful and nice, go figure.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:34 PM

103 posts, read 117,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post

The people of Houston are very nice but I've learned having spent time in two other Texas cities that that's nothing special, people in Texas are just nicer than folks back East.

I spent a lot of time in the medical center area and downtown, and I could never get over not feeling safe even in the so called "safer" areas of Houston. The homeless problem just took that to an unseen level and I grew up in an urban environment, so it wasn't like I was unfamiliar with urban plight. Add the bad air (I'm an asthmatic) and it was a nobrainier for my family to seek life elsewhere. But in Texas!!!

Old 04-04-2015, 05:39 AM

42 posts, read 49,921 times
While on the topic of allergies, anyone who has not had allergies in all the years of living in DFW? Where do you live?

Allergy meds are great for a while and then stop working or require higher strength down the line for most people. Anyone had luck with alternative meds or lifestyle changes?

Old 04-04-2015, 07:39 AM

29 posts, read 29,481 times
Wow thanks so much for your information! My husband and I are in the same boat with relocating to a new place and are currently considering Texas, except we have two small children. We have visited San Antonio and can see the "up and coming" vibe, but I am concerned that the job-market is limited to certain occupations. In Dallas, there seems to be more opportunity for us in terms of jobs. We currently live in Long Island, NY and have been renting, but it seems, no matter how much you make -- its just so expensive. We lived in San Diego a few years back (prior military) and it was really a beautiful place, but the cost of living is very high and I was concerned about the crime rate. There are a few things I was wondering if you had any input on:

- Cars - are there places for car meets, do you see customized cars out there?

- Diversity - would you say that Dallas is diverse all around, or are there places that are not?

- Typical age range - we are around the same age, would you say that there are a lot of families within age-range?

- have you done any research on schools?

Any other information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoplz123 View Post
- Cars - are there places for car meets, do you see customized cars out there?
Tons. Literally.

Quote:
- Diversity - would you say that Dallas is diverse all around, or are there places that are not?
Overall yes, but people tend to self-segregate.

Quote:
- Typical age range - we are around the same age, would you say that there are a lot of families within age-range?
Out of 6-7 million people...yes, you will find people your age.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,236 times
Default re: Dallas

For living comfortably in Dallas, what would you say the minimum income level should be per year. I know income would be different in Dallas than where I live, but I'm curious how much one would have to make a year to live in a reasonably safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas