Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:50 PM

216 posts, read 214,162 times

Advertisements

This is feeling like the reality check I needed. Credit karma quoted max "affordability" at 717k. Lending tree ranged from 460-630k. I seriously thought 350-400 was playing it safe!

Guess I will start to rethink older homes and consider richardson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 PM

213 posts, read 698,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
This is feeling like the reality check I needed. Credit karma quoted max "affordability" at 717k. Lending tree ranged from 460-630k. I seriously thought 350-400 was playing it safe!

Guess I will start to rethink older homes and consider richardson.
Your budget of $350k-$400k is fine assuming you don't have much other recurring debt. At a 30 year fixed with decent interest rate, including taxes and insurance, that puts you in payments of $2,500-$2,900 a month.

Now finding a home for that in this market will be much more difficult. I second other opinions of east Richardson... 75082 specifically.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:26 PM

161 posts, read 260,238 times
There will be options with good schools. Individuals dispute the differences in LHHS, Pearce, and Richardson HS, but if you are a parent involved in helping your children be successful all of those schools can help in preparation for being college bound IMO.

My two cents, make sure you still have an emergency fund intact before putting down the down payment. I've read some articles on individuals being in a "hurry up and move" mode as they are racing interest rates and using their emergency fund. That is a big risk and moving can be stressful enough. Doing it by using the emergency fund for a down payment or using it as a bidding war chip it is asking for disaster.

If you are considering 400k for your budget without an escrow account setup you will probably need approx. $85k for 20% down that should include all mortgage & closing costs.

Last edited by clickbear; 04-04-2015 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 09:07 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad0118 View Post
Just my two cents but if your gross is 11.5k a month, seems your budget is a bit on the steep side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Your budget of $350k-$400k is fine assuming you don't have much other recurring debt. At a 30 year fixed with decent interest rate, including taxes and insurance, that puts you in payments of $2,500-$2,900 a month.
i guess everyone has their own opinions, $11k+ gross income $400k house should be easy

Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickbear View Post
Just make sure you run the numbers including tax at the PURCHASE price and insurance. Considering tapping the breaks if you're between 25-30% of your monthly expenses, depending on your financial situation.

If you are looking for a 4 bedroom you will have better luck with Richardson with your price point. 4 bedrooms seem to be few and far between in Lake Highlands, especially through the Lake Highlands Junior High route unless it is undesirable area or lower performing elementary. If you are willing to put kids through the Forest Meadow JH route (do some thorough research), you will find more sq footage and more bedrooms available.
I've always heard that school referred to as "Forest Ghetto."

Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
Thanks but I have friends moving Out of east plano because of school issues. Should have mentioned that commute is not that big a deal for me. How is Wylie, Sachse, rockwall, or Allen? Just do not want to move out west of the airport. Any other suggestions besides PISD?
Seriously? I'm actually stunned someone would move out of PISD into Wylie for schools. I know easily 2 dozen people who have moved either from one home to another within east Richardson, east Plano, Parker and Murphy into another home in the east cluster. I know of no one who has moved from the east cluster to Wylie but 2 in the last 7 months who moved from Murphy/WISD to Murphy/PISD.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:18 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,440,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Seriously? I'm actually stunned someone would move out of PISD into Wylie for schools. I know easily 2 dozen people who have moved either from one home to another within east Richardson, east Plano, Parker and Murphy into another home in the east cluster. I know of no one who has moved from the east cluster to Wylie but 2 in the last 7 months who moved from Murphy/WISD to Murphy/PISD.

In the 3 years I've lived in Wylie, I've had the opportunity to interact with a lot of folk living out here, you would be surprised at the number of people living in Wylie now who either grew up in Plano or had lived there at some point earlier. To a man they all expressed no desire to move back to Plano. Maybe they were saying all this to make themselves feel better about being in Wylie, I don't know. Special scorn seemed reserved for Plano East which has been called "ghetto"...I suspect the reasons for this were not academics related. I'll leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas