Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you generally consider Dallas to be a sunny place to live?
Yes 29 85.29%
No 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 PM

515 posts, read 558,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchUSA View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Dallas but I love the outdoors and being able to do stuff on weekends/evenings like organize BBQ's, Volleyball/other park sports, camping out, hiking, boating/waterskiing on the lake etc.. I'm originally from the UK and have a hatred of clouds/gray skies (which are basically permanent over the UK) as I feel it ruins all of the activities previously mentioned! I definitely get seasonal affective disorder to some extent! So are things like that possible on a relatively regular basis in Dallas or is the weather just too random and cloudy/stormy there?

I'm currently in Phoenix which is obviously great for the sun and outdoors, but as a single almost 27 year old guy I'm not sure I'm ever going to meet the right girl here, there aren't many people around my age aside from in Scottsdale which is full of hot but unfriendly girls looking for their sugardaddy! I have an opportunity to move but I'm probably looking at around a 4 year commitment, and even though I love it in Phoenix I'm scared to stay here for that long as I don't want to still be single at 31!

I should also mention that I've been to Dallas a few times, I love southern culture/accents and country music and cowboy boots etc, and having been out in Dallas I can definitely say girls are far friendlier and nicer to talk to! I think I've actually met more girls in Dallas on a couple of nights out than in a couple of months in Scottsdale!
I think to be able to really enjoy an outdoor lifestyle all year around, you have to be very warm natured. I mean you need to like the heat. That being said, I run or ride my bike almost every day (around 8 or 9am in the summer). But, I agree with the poster that said camping is pretty much out of the question in the summer, from June through September. The days are OK, but trying to sleep in the heat and humidity is miserable. Hunting and fishing are great here. I'm looking forward to trying some kyak fishing this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 PM

296 posts, read 532,320 times
I'm shocked to hear there's a lack of outdoorsy areas in or around Dallas. Is this due to high Urbanization or that most land is privately owned around the area?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:55 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
I'm shocked to hear there's a lack of outdoorsy areas in or around Dallas. Is this due to high Urbanization or that most land is privately owned around the area?
it's no so much a lack of outdoorsy areas as the outdoorsy areas that are here generally can't compare to those in many equivalent metros. Yes, there are mountain bike trails, lakes, hikes, state parks, etc., but compared to what you have in Denver, Albuquerque, SLC, anywhere in California or along the coasts or the Great Lakes, it doesn't measure up in the beauty department. That said, there are some nice spots and parts of Arkansas and Oklahoma are especially good for camping/hiking. But you're not going to be overwhelmed by the natural wonders in Dallas or within an hour or two of it. Canyonlands, it's not.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Sunny, yes. Outdoorsy, not really. About 10-15 degrees cooler but considerably more humid than Scottsdale. You will not want to camp anytime from early/mid-June 'til mid-September. I lived there for 12 years and HATED life in the summer.
There is this contingent of princess and the pea whiners and there are the rest of us who are outside every day of the year doing things (hiking, biking, jogging...I play tennis, etc).

Old 04-09-2015, 10:03 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
There are acres of park and 3 lakes within 20 minutes of where I live (15 miles from downtown).

However, just giant swathes of open, free land? No.
You have to go about an hour north for that.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:30 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
But, I agree with the poster that said camping is pretty much out of the question in the summer, from June through September. The days are OK, but trying to sleep in the heat and humidity is miserable.
June-Sept the primary camping season in Texas, so it's kind of silly to say it's out 'of the question' in the summer. Do you all think the campsites are all filled with winter campers in TX? The truth is that campsites are packed in the summer, and you typically have to make reservations a month out for the most popular.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:50 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
June-Sept the primary camping season in Texas, so it's kind of silly to say it's out 'of the question' in the summer. Do you all think the campsites are all filled with winter campers in TX? The truth is that campsites are packed in the summer, and you typically have to make reservations a month out for the most popular.
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be caught dead camping anywhere near Dallas in the summer. Between the heat, the humidity, and the bugs summer in Dallas is miserable.

ETA: I'm sure "camping" in an air conditioned pop-up/RV or cabin is great...If that's your thing.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:15 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be caught dead camping anywhere near Dallas in the summer. Between the heat, the humidity, and the bugs summer in Dallas is miserable.
Maybe so and I'm sure that's true for you, but that's not true for the majority. Summer is camping season in DFW, end of story. In winter, the parks and campsites are mostly empty.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:11 AM

692 posts, read 855,250 times
Southern Great Plains vs. Officially Beautiful Places with Lots of Vertical Rocks aside, it's very, very basic, and very, very determinate:

Are you acclimated to and comfortable operating in DFW's summer climate? (y/n).

This determines everything about how one lives in DFW. If you live for the hot weather and wrap yourself in a blanket when it gets down to 65 degrees, you live here in a completely different way than the people who scurry from AC to AC like roaches caught under the kitchen light.

So your first question about living here is "how do I want to handle the climate?"

Old 04-10-2015, 11:37 AM

515 posts, read 558,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Which is why its not as popular to camp out in the summer in DFW, or any Texas city, as elsewhere. In California, we would camp out half the summer. Here in Texas, we started camping in late Sept. until Thanksgiving. Right now is also perfect for it. I am going to try to go to Ray Roberts next weekend in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas