Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,447 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I'm going to go to Dallas this summer for 2 mounts. I heard that public transportation is really bad in Dallas. I'll study in University of Texas at Dallas and it is far from downtown. If you don't have a car how can i transport in there and what can i do. I wanted to buy a car with my friends but I'm under 21. I heard insurance is expensive for under 21s. Is that true?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 08:57 AM

385 posts, read 489,141 times
You can try the Red line (DART), then take a bus to campus.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:23 AM

26 posts, read 78,901 times
Most internet mapping services (Google, Bing, Ovi/Here) have an effective "using public transit" navigation option; set your start and end points and let the site show you options. (This works well for almost every major city in the world, not just Dallas. Works great for comparing mass transit options in various cities using the same system.)

My own experience is that DART works really well, offering good coverage and reasonable fares and schedules. I've been riding their buses and trains since 1993 and the system hasn't been "really bad" in over 20 years. Of course, YMMV.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:29 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Where are you going to live for 2 months? Living near the campus would work best. Second would be living near a Dart Rail stop. There is an UTD bus that transports students to/from campus via the George Bush rail stop.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,447 times
Thank you for comments.

Yes I know DART in there. I heard it is the best way to transport. I wish I'll live near a Dart Rail stop. My host family is unknown for now, I guess it will be near the campus.

Do you know anything about ranting car? I'm 19 I have a driving licence for almost 1 year. Can I rant?

Old 05-10-2015, 12:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umutku View Post
Thank you for comments.
Do you know anything about ranting car? I'm 19 I have a driving licence for almost 1 year. Can I rant?
Most car rentals require drivers be 25 or older. It might be available but at a premium price.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:08 AM

207 posts, read 275,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umutku View Post
Thank you for comments.

Yes I know DART in there. I heard it is the best way to transport. I wish I'll live near a Dart Rail stop. My host family is unknown for now, I guess it will be near the campus.

It's possible, but you may have trouble renting a car being under 25 and especially under 21. It will probably be pretty expensive.

If you are here for 2 months you may be fine just using Uber or Lyft to get around Dallas (Especially if your host family is close to UT-Dallas but not on a DART Line/Bus Stop)

DART Rates

Here's some info on reduced fares, looks like UT-Dallas already has something set up with DART
DART Reduced College/Trade School Student ID Information

DART Map
- As another poster pointed out, you could take the Red Line (or Orange Line that only runs during Peak Times) to the Bush Turnpike Station and then Bus 883 (the Comet Cruiser) to the UT-Dallas Campus

Bus 883 (Comet Cruiser) Info

DART System Map around UT-Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: