Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:57 PM

13 posts, read 36,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Then you're looking for AP classes, not IB. Nothing about IB is "balanced" or allows a social life or time to participate in extracurriculars. IB is a full four year commitment with a series of rigorous exams your senior year to be awarded the IB diploma; the only reason people leave is when they can't keep up or choose to have a life. If you leave in 10th grade, you're not getting back in for 11th.

AP classes have rigorous college-level curriculum but because you pick & choose which ones to sign up for, it's not as overwhelming as the full IB course load.

If you're focused strictly on GPA/ rank, AP will be easier than IB since your kids can take AP classes in subjects that interest them and regular track classes for subjects they aren't as strong in- best of both worlds.
Good food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:59 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerberG View Post
You are absolutely right about that but admission is not guaranteed and it is more like deciding a major. I'm not sure if both of them can get in magnet schools or would like to commit to STEM program.

I want high school to be about a balanced education with no worries about picking a major or a career path.
TAG magnet is a balanced college-prep curriculum. You're right about the others being like picking a major; I wouldn't recommend the more focused magnets except for arts kids or STEM. By middle school, you know if you have a budding engineer/programmer/doctor on your hands.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
TAG magnet is a balanced college-prep curriculum. You're right about the others being like picking a major; I wouldn't recommend the more focused magnets except for arts kids or STEM. By middle school, you know if you have a budding engineer/programmer/doctor on your hands.
Mine are more like budding lawyers and reformers.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:03 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,609 times
Re: IB & extra-curriculars:

For 9th and 10th, you could MAYBE pull off both debate and orchestra, by eSchooling or CBEing PE and health.

For 11th/12th, extremely difficult, since you have to work in the Theory of Knowledge class. You're one hour short without some non-standard scheduling.

Anyway, doing all that is extremely unrealistic, at least the way PISD rolls.

By the 11-12 level, orchestra is expecting AT LEAST an hour/day of practice outside of school, along with private lessons, and likely additional time commitments from DAAY), GDYO, etc.

Debate expects, well, pretty much ALL your free time, if you expect to be competitive at the state level and beyond.

IB itself is going to need about 30-60 minutes of effort PER CLASS after school.

Don't forget about the possibility of running into a schedule conflict.

Keeping it real, you're better off with the flexibility of AP if you intend to keep both ECs.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:35 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,743,369 times
I have two young friends that were considering IB, both will attend East regardless. Both opted to keep their extracurriculars and go the AP route and have balance with classes and extracurriculars. Because they've both been told by older students that IB is an all in proposition.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:37 PM

79 posts, read 104,517 times
You guys do realize the job market for lawyers is not the best nor is it expected to improve

Healthcare, engineering, and computer science/IT are most promising future sectors

Old 05-10-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2DFW View Post
You guys do realize the job market for lawyers is not the best nor is it expected to improve

Healthcare, engineering, and computer science/IT are most promising future sectors
You are absolutely right but I have no intention of pushing them towards some lucrative profession, they have no passion for.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:15 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
Quote:
Is it easier to get higher GPA and rank on AP track or IB track? If one enrolls in IB but drops out then what happens?

I work in Medical district and SO commutes to Frisco.
Well your commutes don't complement each other at all. Do either of you have flex schedules? If just 9-5 then one of you will hate life. Also, with those commutes in mind I wouldn't look east of 75 at all. You need to be along the tollway I would guess. City of Dallas with Plano schools (Plano west in this case) probably makes the most sense; reverse commute straight shot to Frisco while being much further south down the tollway to get downtown.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I have two young friends that were considering IB, both will attend East regardless. Both opted to keep their extracurriculars and go the AP route and have balance with classes and extracurriculars. Because they've both been told by older students that IB is an all in proposition.
I know that DD1 likes academic challenges but has little interest in her viola lessons so IB may work out for her. DD2 has a higher IQ but doesn't like to work hard. IB would make her go crazy. I should be discussing this with their middle school counselor but I have no faith in him.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,592 times
Default Depends on your child

I've worked as an educator, math instructor/tutor in Dallas for 12 years.

I find parents posting here often ask which school or which ISDs they should choose.

Here's just my two cents,

There isn't a hard fast rule. It ALL depends on your child. Every student is different. You have to evaluate each child, depending on many factors and personalities and wants/needs, choose the school that is a good fit for him/her, no best school.

Quote:
Moving to Collin county and trying to decide on a high school. I want to get out of Dallas ISD before my daughter begins high school. It is difficult to decide as Collin County has some of the best schools in the nation. Do you recommend AP or IB program and which school is THE BEST for each track. Which school has best debate program? Housing budget is $350-450K and swimming pool is a MUST have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas