Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Just the fact that you are throwing around the phrase "consumer protection law" is absurd.
I smell a lawsuit

Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 AM

73 posts, read 102,688 times
Sometimes it's these "ordinary folks" that actually bring the most to the table by being themselves and bringing along a different social background you gain coming from an underrepresented community.

"Ordinary folks" SHOULD apply. It is not correct to discourage others based on one's personal experience with the system.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas89 View Post
Sometimes it's these "ordinary folks" that actually bring the most to the table by being themselves and bringing along a different social background you gain coming from an underrepresented community.

"Ordinary folks" SHOULD apply. It is not correct to discourage others based on one's personal experience with the system.
I agree - and considering 15-30% of each private school's student body is on need-based scholarship, obviously the schools DO value diversity and ordinary folks.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:05 AM

55 posts, read 72,919 times
Such a fun thread. Few points:

* Belle there are lots of people decrying the admissions system on this site because most of the people that come on here come to find advice, solace, a sounding board... most people who have an easy way don't ever come to these sites == this does not mean that the schools are marketing snake oil.

* "Qualification" does not equal admittance. There are lots of brilliant kids, and not so brilliant kids who all deserve and will get a quality education in public or private schools.

* Its probably better to not make a big deal of it for yourself or your kids. This too shall pass. Really. Mostly you want your kids to learn resilience -- which will serve them much better than getting into any particular school.

* Lots of "ordinary" people are in private schools (and public schools). Ordinary people that don't know any trustees. (Also trustees are pretty ordinary people too, some a lot wealthier)

* Would love to hear Belle's response to the suggestion of Booker T. Belle - it really sounds like a better fit for your child in any case. Perhaps we can turn the conversation to helping you brainstorm on what to do next to optimize your child's talents.

(Also, personally I think my child's rendition of "twinkle twinkle little star" at his piano recital recital last week was brilliant too... *humblebrag*)

Old 05-20-2015, 11:18 AM

9 posts, read 20,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAgain15 View Post
Why don't you just take a moment and reflect on how fortunate and privileged you are to have faced this problem at all. Most Dallasites are never able to even consider sending their children to such a school. Time to change your attitude.
You know what, you are absolutely right. I'm trying and I thank you for your kindness.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 20,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I smell a lawsuit
I have never intimated anywhere in anything that I have said that I have any intention or claim any remote entitlement to sue anyone over anything that I am complaining about here. My parenthetical statement was that people have a right to a philosophy that is different from my own -- that is what I actually said -- and transmogrifying that into a non-existent threat of a legal action is a bad joke at best and irresponsible at worst.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:50 AM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell Baumfree View Post
OK, I understand that the two children I am referring to, one of which is my own, are not the only talented children.

That said, referring to these two children as "special little snowflakes" as one commentator did, and others are agreeing, suggests to me that you guys don't believe the facts that I have recited about these two children. I am not using my real name on this post and therefore you are free to call me a liar if you want, but could someone have enough compassion to respond to what I am asking: I do know that other applicants who got in did not have this level of objective, verifiable indicia of talent and success -- yes, I do know that because I know who the pool of children in this category in the DFW area are and I know some of the kids who got in.

So is there anyone who can respond to this without mocking me for thinking that "special little snowflakes" should be admitted to a school, because I never said anything of the sort. The question is, why is actually achieving something by developing a talent through hard work, and being able to share that with others in a high qualify performance that people pay a lot of money to see, of little (if any) relevance to the admissions process in these three Dallas private schools?
You sound like a snot. Surprised your kids didn't get in with the other snots.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I have never intimated anywhere in anything that I have said that I have any intention or claim any remote entitlement to sue anyone over anything that I am complaining about here. My parenthetical statement was that people have a right to a philosophy that is different from my own -- that is what I actually said -- and transmogrifying that into a non-existent threat of a legal action is a bad joke at best and irresponsible at worst.
Whether you realize it or not, your paragraph structure was most definitely linking what you claim to be malicious and deceptive private school admissions criteria/procedures (vs what you thought you saw in their school propaganda) to the need to have consumer (applicant) protection laws.

Maybe you should proofread before hitting "post" because you keep having to backtrack and say "that's not what I meant/said."

Old 05-20-2015, 11:53 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Whether you realize it or not, your paragraph structure was most definitely linking what you claim to be malicious and deceptive private school admissions criteria/procedures (vs what you thought you saw in their school propaganda) to the need to have consumer (applicant) protection laws.

Maybe you should proofread before hitting "post" because you keep having to backtrack and say "that's not what I meant/said."

Quote:
While I’m sure that somewhere in 6 point type there is a binding legalese statement that we clueless parents agree they can feed our children’s applications to their dogs and we’re chumps with no recourse, so forget the law -- what about decency?
Combined with references to "consumer protection law".

Old 05-20-2015, 12:00 PM

303 posts, read 366,082 times
You know folks, I sympathize with Bell Baumfree. Step back and think about the situation here. When a private school turns down an applicant for admission, it strikes at the core of what a parent wants for their children, and that is the best that they can provide. They basically state "you cannot have what you feel is the best for your child, sorry" - whether or not it truly is the best for the child is probably irrelevant - since Bell Baumfree is the mother, and she is entitled to decide what is best for her children.

A lot of those participating in this thread don't ever have a situation where someone sits down and directly evaluates your child, and then renders a decision based on that evaluation. A lot of emotion is involved if the decision is to not admit the child.

I think it would be best to give her good objective advice, not berate or beat her down or call her names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas