Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:22 PM

9 posts, read 16,516 times

Advertisements

hi all
been reading some stuff related to snakes around the dallas area
is it pretty common for snakes in backyards etc? is there any danger? Are they poisonous etc?

What about other "yucky" things like scorpions/fireants?

Never had any experiece with such in the midwest. I am trying to put my mind to ease in terms of moving to Dallas.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 02:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,007 times
Scorpions won't really be an issue unless you live way out. I've never seen one in the city in my 20+ years here. Fire ants however are abundant. Just get a pest control service or pick up some fire ant control at Home Depot/Lowes. The only snakes I've seen in the city are Garter snakes. Useful to you garden and not poisonous. I've also never had one bite me and I used to catch them when I was a kid.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:26 PM

No if you move out of the city to more rural area, especially around water, all bets are off.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:38 PM

what cities would be more "rural"?
We're thinking Frisco/Plano area for now.

btw, are fire ants dangerous, or just an annoyance?
Thanks

Old 06-30-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye15 View Post
what cities would be more "rural"?
We're thinking Frisco/Plano area for now.

btw, are fire ants dangerous, or just an annoyance?
Thanks
You should be completely fine in those areas in regards to snakes or scorpions.

Fire ants can sting/bite like the dickens, but you'll know pretty quick when you've stepped on their home. I've probably have fire ant bites a total of 10 times in my whole life. It's a little less painful then say a bee sting. Nothing to really worry about, unless you have small children. And by small, I mean you'd be watching them in the back yard anyways, so nothing to really worry about.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,758 times
I'm in a Frisco FB group and there have been several snakes that have been found in people's garages or backyards the last month or so because of all the rain we've had. I haven't personally seen once in Frisco, but we had at least one a year in our backyard in Prosper growing up.

I haven't seen any scorpions in Frisco. Fire ants aren't really dangerous unless a small child, pet, or someone who is allergic gets bit. The ants can be all over you before you realize it.

The biggest "pests" you will probably come across will be rabbits. Seriously, they are everywhere.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I'm in a Frisco FB group and there have been several snakes that have been found in people's garages or backyards the last month or so because of all the rain we've had. I haven't personally seen once in Frisco, but we had at least one a year in our backyard in Prosper growing up.

I haven't seen any scorpions in Frisco. Fire ants aren't really dangerous unless a small child, pet, or someone who is allergic gets bit. The ants can be all over you before you realize it.

The biggest "pests" you will probably come across will be rabbits. Seriously, they are everywhere.
Don't forget the mosquito. Those are my biggest annoyance.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:31 PM

thanks stephwin.. are those snakes dangerous though?

Old 06-30-2015, 05:45 PM

34 posts, read 171,871 times
we can have copperheads and water moccasins in the country. I've only seen non-poisonous garden snakes in the city. I consider Frisco city these days. Regarding fire ants, they feel like you've been burned with an iron. Buy some Amdro to clear it up. Our dogs have had their faces swell pretty bad from them, but nothing a few benedryl won't cure. I will say I walk around less barefoot after encountering those pesky things -- it's like they wait until they all climb on board and then yell attack! Never seen a scorpion here. My husband grew up 2 hours west and still checks his shoes and gets on to me if I pick up a rock without gloves on.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 PM

62 posts, read 143,320 times
I had a water moccasin in my garage last week. Fortunately it was a juvenile but very unnerving all the same. We live on a tributary of white rock creek in west plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas