Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times

Advertisements

Massage Parlors? Did someone resurrect a thread from the 70s?

Old 04-29-2014, 03:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Massage Parlors? Did someone resurrect a thread from the 70s?
Do walk around with blinders on your eyes? Theyre hard to miss.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
3) Maybe old Lexus's....not sure about this one either. I do see nice cars from time to time in terrible neighborhoods, but I'm not sure why that is a bother to you. Some people like spending their money on certain things. We live in a fairly modest neighborhood. Some neighbors have fancy cars, some take lots of trips, others send their kids to expensive private schools. Not really sure why this is your concern.
It's not my business what people drive but when a drunk lady driving an Infiniti hits me from behind and has the gall to threaten me by saying -"you don't know who I am and what I'll do to you", you have to wonder why she would say that? Let me explain - She wasn't terribly smart to be drunk driving and when I did a search on her later I found out she was a small store manager. Also her insurance gave me the run around for months and to top it off my rates went up. So please don't defend people who drive cars they can't afford. The only logical conclusion I could come up with is that - she was driving a fancy car which led her to believe that she could do whatever she wanted and at the same time put my life in danger. I mean I can see if it was one person but every time I drive on the roads, there's a jerk waiting to cut you off and tailgate you just because he has a bigger or newer car than the other guy. And 9 out of 10 times, the person driving the fancy car pays half or more of his/her paycheck on it. So yeah, I have a very personal problem with this one issue.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
She wasn't terribly smart to be drunk driving and when I did a search on her later I found out she was a small store manager. Also her insurance gave me the run around for months and to top it off my rates went up. So please don't defend people who drive cars they can't afford.
Who again is driving when they can't afford it? I mean, her insurance was much better than yours if she was able to give you the run around causing an accident while driving drunk.

I'm also not sure what this has to do with Dallas, as I don't think there is any lax drunk driving police bias when an accident has occurred nor any specific insurance-friendly laws the city has enacted. There might be some Texas-wide lax enforcement of drunk driving that doesn't lead to accidents vs other states.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Do walk around with blinders on your eyes? They're hard to miss.
Maybe. But probably not. Yet no one can say where they are. Where are they? I've been here since 1967. I did see them through the 70s. Do you have a frequent flyer card? If they are here in droves, they should be obvious.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM

23 posts, read 38,933 times
I just got back from Dallas/Plano after visiting from NJ and I absolutely loved it. I thought it was so beautiful, clean, people were super friendly, and food was great. I really couldn't find one thing I didn't like. I did find that people drove a little nutso but I'm used to it being from NJ

Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I for one appreciate that people dress for church, after work parties/meetings and the theater. People look pretty sloppy in some other cities, including some in Europe. It's not as dressy here as it used to be.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:44 PM

704 posts, read 771,659 times
I don't get what you guys don't understand that Dallas is no longer a bunch of Texans but a bunch of transplants and hasn't been for over 30 years. Seriously people, get a grip.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Maybe. But probably not. Yet no one can say where they are. Where are they? I've been here since 1967. I did see them through the 70s. Do you have a frequent flyer card? If they are here in droves, they should be obvious.
Drive up Preston Road between Belt Line and George Bush. Ive counted 7. I drive that route every day from work. They're located in strip malls, are open late at night, and have blacked out, tinted windows.

Also, consider opening up a Dallas observer. Tons advertise in there.

Im not making this up. You're just not noticing it.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Drive up Preston Road between Belt Line and George Bush. Ive counted 7. I drive that route every day from work. They're located in strip malls, are open late at night, and have blacked out, tinted windows.

Also, consider opening up a Dallas observer. Tons advertise in there.

Im not making this up. You're just not noticing it.
And yet no addresses, just a general say so. I drive along there all the time. How about spotting them on a map, or give me some addresses. I do a lot more than notice. I have done hundreds of ESAs in the last 30 years, many on these strip malls, which included a considerable historical records search- aerial photos, city directories, Sanborn maps, building permits, zoning records, title searches, historical tenant records, all going back to when a parcel was raw land. I also have to do a property inspection, a walk-through of every space in a strip center, interviewing all tenants and examining business practices, as well as on adjacent properties. I have yet to come across anything resembling what you are suggesting. Maybe I have been lucky. Asbestos - yes, drug paraphernalia - sure, illegal knock-off product manufacturing - oh yeah. But massage parlors? Not one. If you give me an address of one of these strip malls, I can find out everything that is going on. I have files on properties at LBJ, Spring Valley, Belt Line, Arapaho, Campbell, and Frankford.

You would think that as many as I have done, I would have come across something like that if they were as ubiquitous as some were suggesting. Maybe I've just been incredibly lucky not to come across something like that.

I do remember driving up Preston in the late 70s and early 80s towards Frisco when it was sparsely populated prairie with farmhouses and such and there was a cluster of dilapidated houses that were suspected of being these massage parlors. I didn't try to confirm that though.

Last edited by PanTerra; 05-04-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas