Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:07 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times

Advertisements

Batten down the hatches, all! Ice and freezing rain is on the way! And for those of you new to the area... plan on staying home tomorrow a.m. if any accumulation happens. Curent prediction is 1/4". School closings or delays will be announced on all the major local tv stations in the a.m.

I know, we do sound like sissies here about it for those from the Northern areas. I admit, we are! But, I've also learned it's not worth my auto being damaged or my life to risk it in this traffic. While YOU may be able to drive in it... most here can't.

The best thing about it... it'll be gone in a blink!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 PM

152 posts, read 673,943 times
Most people don't drive well in ice, even those from up north. When we lived in MN the few times there was ice, there where plenty of accidents. People up north deal with snow, and not usually ice so we don't have to feel bad down here

Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
Most people don't drive well in ice, even those from up north. When we lived in MN the few times there was ice, there where plenty of accidents. People up north deal with snow, and not usually ice so we don't have to feel bad down here
Ain't that the truth. It never ceases to amaze me how many people that move here from other areas that have harsh cold winters get so "oh sissy baby" about us when it gets icy. Sure they get lots of snow but whenever there is ice on the ground there all we see on the news here are these massive wrecks that shut down interstates and kill people. At least we know to stay home when the roads get too icy

I hope school does not cancel tomorrow. My kids don't want to have to make it up in June. When they heard that option they were not pleased. Afterall they have already been off of school for 2 days this week. PLEASE, let there be school

Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I remember those days in Dallas/Fort Worth. Not enough sanding equipment to do anything more then the bridges.

When I was a kid we got a nice coverage of ice topped off by snow. We broke out the snow skis and sleds and someone with a 4 wheel truck pulled us down the roads. I think we got out an inner tube normally used for pulling behind a boat on the local lake.

They canceled school so we could play all day.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I remember those days in Dallas/Fort Worth. Not enough sanding equipment to do anything more then the bridges.

They canceled school so we could play all day.
Not that way anymore. The NTTA (the agency that oversees the tollroads) has "depots" of sandlots every so many miles underneath 190 and along DNT. The can sand that baby pretty darn quick. They have gotten a lot better and keeping things on the ready. I'm sure the sanding crews will be at work by 10:00 tonight standing by.

Sometimes it does not have to be icy or snow for the schools to cancel. Our district has an agreement in order to get a lower rate they will cancel school IF there is a HUGE need for power that could jeopardize overloading the system. The schools close (as do some large companies that have the same type of agreement) in order for everyone else to keep power on.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:10 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Granted, they do a very good job on the freeways/highways now as far as sanding. The tricky part is getting out of the subdivisions TO them! Any type of incline at all will cause sliding which you have no control over.

Even the driveway we used to have was on an incline... no problem getting out... just let 'er slide down into the street! Had to use the shovel to chip up strips of ice off for the tires to get a grip to get the car back up and in the garage, 'tho.

Ahh, yes, remember those snow days and kids climbing the walls! We'd take them to a field there in Garland and pull them (us, too!) around on sleds with the four-wheelers!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
I'm in Abilene and ice pellets started falling about a half-hour ago. It's supposed to get bad later. Right now, it's just funny to watch ice bouncing off my deck.

Stay warm and safe, everyone!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,534 times
Quote:
I hope school does not cancel tomorrow. My kids don't want to have to make it up in June. When they heard that option they were not pleased. Afterall they have already been off of school for 2 days this week. PLEASE, let there be school
I hope there is school tomorrow due to the kids get out June 5th.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I hope there is school tomorrow due to the kids get out June 5th.
Tis true, tis true. The 1st makeup day I believe is June 6th. OUCH!!! My dd said she "would just not go". HA! No, you WILL be there as it will be finals and I'll be the one getting your booty up and driving you there.

I did see on the 5:00 news that they already had the sand trucks standing by and they reported that the overpasses had ALREADY been sprayed w/ some deicer stuff. It is just getting out of the neighborhoods that is a pain. One reason why I avoid houses w/ steep driveways

EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TURN OFF YOUR SPRINKLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:21 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
oh sprinklers, I'm pretty sure mine are off, I will check.

Our school has a make-up day built into the schedule, the kids have the Monday after Easter off, but it will be a make-up day if needed. I've already gotten emails from the school letting us know how to find out if school is canceled. My hubby has been going to DFW for training the past 3 weeks but he has off tomorrow, I'm glad! Keep warm & safe everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas