Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 02:44 PM

44 posts, read 74,586 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

So my husband and I are considering a move to Dallas and I am concerned about the prevalence of ticks and Lyme Disease in the area because I'm from Orange County, CA where I don't normally have to deal with ticks (unless hiking).

I know that ticks exist in Texas--and in pretty much every state, but what are my chances of actually coming into contact with them in Dallas if I

a. live in an apartment in an urban area (we're considering Uptown neighborhoods and maybe suburban Plano)
b. only spend time outside when walking my dog (on paved streets near short cut grass). Are parks infested?
c. never hike

Yes, I'm a baby when it comes to bugs and I'm definitely paranoid about this issue but I need to know if there's a way to avoid ticks altogether over there and if my concern is actually warranted in TX?

Thanks very much for all who offer input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 02:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
We do have them but I wouldn't be overly concerned. I never ever saw one while living in Uptown, East Dallas, or the Park Cities. Now we have a large lot in north Dallas/ Preston Hollow with a lot of wildlife (rabbits, the occasional fox, etc). We did pull a tick off my dog a few years ago but that's the only one I've ever seen. I never think about ticks when I'm outside (mostly because the Mosquitos are attacking me!) and we have our yard sprayed 2X per year.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:03 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
No concern unless you're camping.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:04 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Yea I grew up here, and don't think I've ever been bitten by a tick. I think my brother was once, but that was when we were camping...and in Arkansas! lol

Now Mosquitos...that's a whole 'nother story!

Old 08-01-2015, 03:34 PM

44 posts, read 74,586 times
Thanks for the replies so far guys! I feel more relaxed now knowing that tick contact is rare in Dallas. But now you've got me scared of the mosquitos!! How does one avoid THOSE?

Old 08-01-2015, 05:31 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by januaryicecream View Post
Thanks for the replies so far guys! I feel more relaxed now knowing that tick contact is rare in Dallas. But now you've got me scared of the mosquitos!! How does one avoid THOSE?
If you have O blood type, you're screwed. They love us O people!

Mosquitos come out at dusk so stock up on mosquito spray if you tend to be outside then. Mosquitos love water so if you in Uptown live close to Turtle Creek or close to a pool, it's impossible to avoid them. We have the "patio egg" which keeps mosquitos at bay for about 20' diameter around the egg.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 AM

16 posts, read 17,303 times
You'll be more likely to see plenty of skeeters, chiggers, and roaches instead. There are so many bugs here it's not funny. Learn to love them! LoL

Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
You can have the yard sprayed for chiggers. Spray yourself for mosquitos.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
If u have a dog and hoard it check for ticks when u get home
Our dog brought one home after being in kennel for few days
Other than that spraybw good repellant around your feet especially if u go out into parks
Most cities treat for stuff in parks but you never know 100%

Mosquitos are difficult because they can fly half mile+
So even if your yard is clear--no standing water--neighbors might have breeding ground or catchments in open land around your house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas