Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:45 AM

7 posts, read 6,059 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'll be relocating to Dallas from across the world to be with my husband (American) and I'm just trying to better manage my expectations when it comes to looking for a new job.

I'm in my late 20s and have about 7 years of experience in the banking and government fields doing talent analytics and strategic planning. I got my BS & MS in statistics & analytics from a pretty decent university (top 25 in the world) though it's probably not very well-known in the US. I'm hoping at this point in my career, it doesn't really matter where I got my degrees. I'm also currently working on my coding skills and would defintely consider a career change.

Would it be difficult for me to find a similar job in the area? Is hard as a foreigner to get a job? Salary isn't my top priority and wrt to the career change, I'm fine with starting at an entry-level position.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Will you have a visa to allow you to work? An H2 visa doesn't allow employment.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Since her husband is American, hopefully she's already gotten her green card. It's pretty easy to get a green card for a foreign spouse, even if you're living overseas (speaking from experience).

If she's intending to move here and settle, she needs to get her visa sorted out before landing here. Applying for a change of status after moving here on a tourist visa is...well...less than ideal.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:22 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,898 times
Assuming English is not your native language, as long as you are both fluent and literate in English, obtain your work authorization form I-765 (roughly 2 month process) and interview well, you shouldn't have much of a problem. It sounds as though a project management position may be the path of least resistance given your experience. You may want to look into a PMP certification after you relocate. It's a fast and affordable way to add some recognizable credentials to your CV.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Since her husband is American, hopefully she's already gotten her green card. It's pretty easy to get a green card for a foreign spouse, even if you're living overseas (speaking from experience).

If she's intending to move here and settle, she needs to get her visa sorted out before landing here. Applying for a change of status after moving here on a tourist visa is...well...less than ideal.
Yes, I'm currently waiting for approval and will adjust my status after arriving in the US. I'm not moving to the US on a tourist visa.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 PM

162 posts, read 194,935 times
I don't see an issue of you finding a job. Lots of jobs out there with your skillset.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:20 PM

130 posts, read 153,753 times
Since you have interest in writing code/ programming... and also analytics background, you can really look into how to position yourself for a Data Scientist position. It's a fairly recent specialty with big demand that is driven by ever growing business need for 'Big Data'. Also the $$ isn't bad either

Old 08-19-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Assuming English is not your native language, as long as you are both fluent and literate in English, obtain your work authorization form I-765 (roughly 2 month process) and interview well, you shouldn't have much of a problem. It sounds as though a project management position may be the path of least resistance given your experience. You may want to look into a PMP certification after you relocate. It's a fast and affordable way to add some recognizable credentials to your CV.
Thanks, English isn't my native language, but I'm fluent and have lived and worked in English-speaking countries like Britain and Australia for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistisan View Post
I don't see an issue of you finding a job. Lots of jobs out there with your skillset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhakaia View Post
Since you have interest in writing code/ programming... and also analytics background, you can really look into how to position yourself for a Data Scientist position. It's a fairly recent specialty with big demand that is driven by ever growing business need for 'Big Data'. Also the $$ isn't bad either
Oh yes, the whole 'Big Data' trend! I definitely have interest in it. My husband is in a totally different field and doesn't quite understand it, so he hasn't been able to comment on the job market for such specialities in Dallas.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:07 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
H2 is for temporary non-agricultural workers; the majority of H1 spouses are not able to work with their H4. OP is married to an American. With CR1 spousal visa she will receive her Green Card at point of entry and can work immediately. Initially with her appropriately stamped passport then Green Card.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:12 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gen4u View Post
Yes, I'm currently waiting for approval and will adjust my status after arriving in the US. I'm not moving to the US on a tourist visa.
But you can start networking. Sites such as LinkedIn, blogs, forums on professional association sites are a good start. Rewrite your resume to US format!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: