Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 06:07 PM

88 posts, read 88,175 times

Advertisements

Hellz, getting rid of Larry Lewis alone did wonders for Lancaster ISD. The future progress after that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 08:34 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca93 View Post
Thank you so much for the info! It will be very helpful. Like I said, we still have a lot of time, but I want to get started as early as we can. This move has been an adjustment because Brenham has less than 20,000 people and it is where my husband and I grew up and lived for 20+ years...we are still trying to get past the "small town" mentality.

Another question: do you know if it's possible to find a nice 3 or 4 bedroom house in the area for $150k? I need to start looking on Zillow but was wondering if anyone has recent experience with buying in the area.
If you want a place that is more the size of Brenham and still has some "small towniness" you might look at Seagoville. It's out in the fields and not in the hills and trees but it hasn't been completely swallowed up by growth and it's not far from the job.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:56 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If you want a place that is more the size of Brenham and still has some "small towniness" you might look at Seagoville. It's out in the fields and not in the hills and trees but it hasn't been completely swallowed up by growth and it's not far from the job.
Be sure and look at Seagoville's crime rate, too. It's not an extremely desirable suburb, which is why the housing prices there are so much cheaper.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:42 PM

313 posts, read 368,455 times
While a bit further away than the ones you asked about, I recommend Midlothian.

Midlothian and Waxahachie have great fan support for their HS bands so I've seen their communities' involvement. They both put on great shows and demand excellence. Of the two, Midlothian has impressed me and I know some people who have graduated from there that have gone on to Baylor and done well.

I looked at Midlothian, Red Oak, Waxahachie and Ennis high school ratings on US News and Midlothian's were rated highest but part of that could be due to a lower percentage of economically disadvantaged students (20%).

Old 11-07-2019, 01:41 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Zillow is not reliable for Texas.

You can get a house for that price in the southern suburbs. Just watch the neighborhood crime maps.
I can't link the crime stats from other sites due to forum rules, but it appears that Seagoville is pretty much in line with the other south Dallas suburbs in terms of property crime. However, it is significantly lower than any of the others in terms of violent crime. Cedar Park being just a bit higher but the others being a lot higher.

I wonder if Seagoville has a bad rep because of the federal prison being there.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:39 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
The federal prison doesn't help. I will say that in general, the southern suburbs' crime rates higher crime than the northern ones, so you're looking at "least worst."
Seagoville schools are not very well regarded. They used to have their own ISD, but the DISD took it over a few years ago because the schools were so bad. They haven't gotten it much better since then, and are still among the worst of DISD.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:04 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Just a reminder that this is a four year old thread. I'm sure the OP has found a place to live by now.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:59 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino63 View Post
Hellz, getting rid of Larry Lewis alone did wonders for Lancaster ISD. The future progress after that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.
I agree. He needed to go and the board members from that period didn't seek a further term or were voted out, allowing new trustees to come in and shake things up. The two superintendent's since Lewis have been excellent and the combination of strong leadership, improved academic performance, and greater parental involvement is why LISD is in much better shape today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas