Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 08:38 AM

12 posts, read 11,972 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
Please suggest me a good montessori for my 4 year old. He is currently in a private montessori in Frisco which is academically rigorous. I want something similar. Also, the tuition supported pre school at PISD, what are the reviews on that. Thanks a lot in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 09:31 AM

40 posts, read 81,416 times
If you are looking for "rigorous" such as 4 yr olds reading at a 6th grade level and doing pre-algebra with homework every night then then you should just stay in the Montessori. This is a standard pre-school that helps prepare kids socially and academically for Kinder (sight words, beginning writing, number sense, shapes, etc.).

First of all are you zoned for PISD? PISD preschool are only half days (like 8-11 or 12-3) and depending on where your Plano ISD Elementary School you are zoned to is where one of the 3 pre-schools your child will go to and what time (It may not be the closest either). If they do not have a disability, non-English speaking (ESL), or economically disadvantaged need then parents can pay monthly tuition..provided there is room.

In addition there is no lunch (parents can bring a small snack, provided it is nut free) and no before or after school programs, so for working families this may be a challenge. Bus service is provided (with payment) to and from school via the Elementary school assigned.

So my review is that my child loved her time at PISD preschool, the staff was caring, teachers were good and our child was ready for Kinder at her Elementary school. Would recommend but be aware of the limitations.

Find more info here: Early Childhood Programs : Plano ISD

Old 09-15-2015, 09:39 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
That's interesting that Plano is still at half day preschool. My district is full day and also allows extended care after school which my son loves. When he starts to misbehaves, his go-to response is "I'm at school for 9 hours. I can't be good all the time!" The teachers love it!

They go by the Texas standard for preschool which also confuses me how some districts could be half day while others are full day. They only have a 35 minute "rest" time to listen to music with the lights off, so it's definitely a full day.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:36 PM

Thanks guys. Isaacs Early childhood falls in my zone. I think when I wrote ''rigorous'' I got carried away. I want something that good that he stays there for as long as possible.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM

419 posts, read 553,677 times
Pebblecreek Montessori is one of only 5 accredited Montessori's in the Dallas area. I wouldn't call it academically rigorous. They don't push the kids or teach them to excel at testing. If that's what you are looking for then the Guthrie school is right next door. I hear it's also a quality program but a very different style.

PCM concentrates on developing the whole child. Academically, emotionally, and socially. You are familiar with montessori though and you asked specifically about academics. My child loves the pursuit of knowledge, so this style of self directed learning has been great for him. At five years old he has been reading independently for a year, understands conversational Spanish (so I'm told by spanish-speaking parents), and is working on his multiplication tables 1- 10. Not just memorizing, but really understands and can explain why 3*4=12. It really is an incredible learning environment. Staff is also amazing and has very little turnover.

It's technically in Allen but close to the Plano border at Hedgecoxe and Custer. I used to do the commute when we lived near the Isaacs school and it was about 20 minutes. Icaacs gets pretty full with ESL and special needs kids. No comment however as my kids werent old enough to attend before we moved closer to their current school. PESH has a preschool and I have heard great things about it. It is half-day however and the hours never worked for me.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:16 AM

53 posts, read 67,368 times
American Montessori is awesome but it is $$$$$ expensive. Plano ISD's program is amazing but it's only half day, which is good for the kids as little ones have limited attention span but not practical for working parents.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:41 PM

What about Montessori House Children's Garden in Dallas. It is one of 4 AMI certified montessori in DFW. Any comments?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:34 AM

53 posts, read 67,368 times
keribeth is right about high enrollment of ESL and developmental disability kids in state supported preschools because they have teachers who are educated and trained for that. Private preschools don't have resources or staff for that. I've heard good reviews of academic part in Children's Garden and American Motessori.

Pebblecreek is a reall good Montessori but main reasons for their popularity are lower tuition and friendly staff. I know many parents who loved the place yet took their kids out because academics were lacking. Some went to smaller homebased Montessori groups and some to other montessories and noticed the difference in rigor. Two enrolled their kids at Alcuin and loved it, afterwards both kids got admission in St Marks.

Alcuin School | A Private Toddler-12th Grade Montessori & IB School in Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas